Author Topic: So This Is Biden's 'Tougher' Border Policy?  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
So This Is Biden's 'Tougher' Border Policy?
« on: Today at 03:02:33 pm »
So This Is Biden's 'Tougher' Border Policy?
JAZZ SHAW 9:20 AM | May 09, 2024

We've been hearing rumors for a while now that President Joe Biden and his handlers have finally seen the writing on the wall and are planning to start to "crackdown" on illegal migrants crossing into our country over the southern border. Now, White House insiders are saying that today could be the day. The President will reportedly be announcing new, "tougher" policies for asylum-seekers looking to enter the United States. I'm sure you're all relieved, even if the move comes more than three years too late and billions of dollars short. But what will these changes look like? Are we finally going to close the border again? Not in the slightest. As you will see below, these are cosmetic changes at best, designed to drive a couple of headlines and hopefully salvage a few points in his approval ratings. (Associated Press)

The Biden administration plans to propose a new rule Thursday aimed at speeding up the asylum claims process for some migrants — a potential prelude to broader actions from President Joe Biden later this year that would impose a bigger crackdown at the border.

It’s meant to affect migrants with criminal records or those who would otherwise be eventually deemed ineligible for asylum in the United States. The proposal, which the Department of Homeland Security plans to announce on Thursday, was confirmed by four people familiar with its contents who were granted anonymity to detail plans not yet public.

Under current law, a migrant who arrives at the border and undergoes an initial screening for “credible fear” — one criterion for asylum — is allowed to continue with the process even if they have a criminal background or would pose a security risk. A judge would later determine whether that migrant would be eligible for asylum.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2024/05/09/so-this-is-bidens-tougher-border-policy-n3788064#google_vignette
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson