Author Topic: Mexican smugglers are increasingly using semitrailers to transport migrants  (Read 72 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Mexican smugglers are increasingly using semitrailers to transport migrants
© Provided by Axios

Smugglers in Mexico are increasingly using overloaded semitrailers to transport people trying to enter the U.S., often with deadly consequences, an investigation from Noticias Telemundo found.

The big picture: The situation lays bare the human toll of modern migration amid the growing and increasingly dangerous human smuggling industry.

State of play: Noticias Telemundo, the Latin American journalism consortium CLIP and other local partners reconstructed the journeys and routes taken by 170 cargo trucks involved in either crashes or other incidents in Mexico in the past six years.

They found that almost 19,000 people — 3,000 of them minors — were transported in the trucks involved in incidents, and 111 died.

Trailers are often overcrowded and result in people dying from a lack of oxygen or being exposed to extreme temperatures.

Only 35 people have been convicted of smuggling and endangering people with the use of trailers — a rate of impunity that immigrant advocates say has fostered the problem.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexican-smugglers-are-increasingly-using-semitrailers-to-transport-migrants/ar-AA1o33RU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ada31b6bd5e1411595d991df800d19f6&ei=80
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson