Author Topic: Google warns this dangerous hidden app lets strangers record you  (Read 631 times)

Offline Kamaji

Google warns this dangerous hidden app lets strangers record you

By Harry Pettit, The Sun
April 4, 2022

A dangerous piece of spyware that eavesdrops on anyone who downloads it has been discovered by researchers.

The dodgy Android app keeps track of your location and records you through your devices’ microphones, according to a report.

It then sends the files to the murky organization behind the technology. Their identity remains a mystery.

They could then use that information to blackmail you – or worse.

Experts from the international cyber group Lab52 identified the malicious app and described it in a blog post last week.

They said that the malware has all the hallmarks of spy tech used by state-sponsored Russian hackers to target Americans and Europeans.

It’s unclear how the app, which is called “Process Manager”, is installed onto victims’ devices.

Previous Russian spyware campaigns have loaded malware onto devices via links sent over text or email.

Process Manager appears as a gear-shaped icon similar to the settings icon used in default versions of Android.

Once downloaded, a warning about app permissions is displayed to the user asking for access to the cameras and more.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/google-warns-this-dangerous-hidden-app-lets-strangers-record-you/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Google warns this dangerous hidden app lets strangers record you
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 11:20:21 am »
And no, it's not Google warning us about itself (although perhaps such a warning would be warranted as well).

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 03:35:07 pm »
So I checked and I have no "Process Manager" app.  Does that mean I'd "safe" from this?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:36:07 pm »
So I checked and I have no "Process Manager" app.  Does that mean I'd "safe" from this?

Not sure.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 03:44:17 pm »
No Android, no problems.  I don't care what all the cool kids are using.  I want a phone for calls and texts.  I don't need a supercomputer that governments and corporations can use to monitor my activities.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright