Author Topic: Wind Turbines Out West-Part 1  (Read 111 times)

rebewranger

Wind Turbines Out West-Part 1
« on: April 04, 2022, 05:10:26 pm »
Wind Turbines Out West-Part 1
5 days ago Guest Blogger 

Read about the controversy this turbine caused.
Kevin Kilty

Background

Wind energy development has exploded in southeastern Wyoming. In just two counties we have now in operation, or permitted to begin construction, some ten wind projects involving 613,000 acres (958 square miles) and offering nameplate rating of 6,300MW. Why has this development accelerated so much lately? I will not delve into the issue of public subsidies at all since these are so well known. Instead I will examine five other factors I can identify.

First, the region undoubtedly has impressive wind energy resources and these installations should, like oil and gas production, follow the resource. However, while average wind speeds in parts of southeast Wyoming are high, the wind displays a great deal of variability on a variety of time scales – exactly the characteristic which makes wind energy problematic.

Second, except for one project which is sited in a region of private residences and businesses there is little local opposition to these projects. Everyone seems aware that these projects will pass the permitting stage easily. There is little statutory guidance. There are no regulations regarding impacts to view shed, for instance, like there is in cities (i.e. limitations on structure height, for instance).

Third, the wind farms are being sited where there are few land owners which is a great aid in organizing leases. In this part of Wyoming property is often owned in very large holdings. Much of it is state or Federal land, especially BLM. One project includes a 50/50 mix of private and BLM. The private land involved here has one private owner of around 250 square miles.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/03/30/wind-turbines-out-west-part-1/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Wind Turbines Out West-Part 1
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 07:33:18 pm »
Wild fluctuations in wind speeds should be a deal breaker.  Not enough wind and they're becalmed.  Too much and they spin dangerously fast requiring shutting them down by "feathering" the blades or watching them burn.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: