Author Topic: GOP Rep. Fred Upton retiring after decadeslong House career and beef with Trump  (Read 208 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Rep. Fred Upton retiring after decadeslong House career and beef with Trump
by David M. Drucker, Senior Political Correspondent & David Mark, Senior Editor |
 | April 05, 2022 10:14 AM

Rep. Fred Upton is planning to retire from Congress, according to an email the Michigan Republican sent to supporters Tuesday morning, GOP sources confirmed.

Upton, 68, later announced his retirement in a House floor speech. Upton has represented western Michigan in the House since 1987 and has toyed with retirement in recent years, only to stick around and fend off the occasional GOP primary challenger and silence conservative critics who accused him of being too centrist. But this year, Upton also was contending with opposition from former President Donald Trump.

Upton in his House floor speech Tuesday stressed his bipartisan credentials.

"I've worked with seven administration, seven House speakers — none of them would call me a rubber stamp," Upton said. "If it's good policy for Michigan, it's good enough for all of us."

Upton added, "Hopefully, civility and bipartisanship can rule, not rue the day."

Upton voted to impeach Trump toward the end of the former president’s single term in office.

He was one of 10 House Republicans who found Trump culpable for the Jan. 6 ransacking of the Capitol, along with Reps. John Katko of New York, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, and Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-rep-fred-upton-retiring-after-decades-long-house-career-beef-with-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump gloats after Upton announces retirement

Former President Trump gloated Tuesday over the retirement of GOP Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), who became a target of Trump’s ire after the Michigan Republican voted to impeach him after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Upton’s exit means nearly half of the 10 Republicans who voted in favor of impeachment are leaving Congress at the end of this term.

“UPTON QUITS! 4 down and 6 to go,” Trump said in a statement. “Others losing badly, who’s next?

Three other Republicans who voted for Trump’s impeachment last year have announced that they will not seek reelection: Reps. Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio), John Katko (R-N.Y.) and Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.).

Upton announced his retirement Tuesday morning on the House floor.

more
https://thehill.com/news/house/3259432-trump-gloats-after-upton-announces-retirement/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Da Da. Dump Dump Dump.....

Another RINO bites the dust.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Fred's dead. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Fred's dead. 

That's what I said  (apologies to Curtis Mayfield)
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So that's why the sun seems to be shining brighter this morning.  Thanks Mr. 100 Watt Bulb Killer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Its not just democrats that went whole whore for Biden.  Some Republicans  can read the writing on the wall too!  Like Pelosi they should be afraid of torches and pitch forks coming!  Who wants to be a typhoid mary along with Biden?  Some already running scared.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions