Author Topic: Republicans Can Stop the Ketanji Brown Jackson Nomination  (Read 283 times)

Offline Kamaji

Republicans Can Stop the Ketanji Brown Jackson Nomination
« on: April 04, 2022, 12:20:26 pm »
Republicans Can Stop the Ketanji Brown Jackson Nomination

Jackson’s confirmation is being hurried to a Monday committee vote ahead of the Easter recess. What’s the rush?

By Allan Stevo
April 3, 2022

Around the Ides of March 2020, the United States entered into a period we might call “corona communism.” From church closures to the widespread assault on property rights, the communist onslaught was allowed on these hallowed shores by simply claiming to benefit the public health. Over the past two years, a particularly troubling revelation is how children have been taken advantage of, harmed, and relegated even further to an inferior—almost subhuman—status in society.

With this concern on my mind, I watched Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson’s horrifying testimony at her confirmation hearings two weeks ago. The hearings revealed how Jackson has spent a significant portion of her legal career apologizing for pedophiles and those who traffic in images of the rape of children. More than just apologizing, Jackson has helped move alter the judicial system in order for perpetrators to commit the same crimes more easily again.

There is likely far more to Jackson’s troubling record. But Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) has refused to release Jackson’s complete records, in particular, records from her tenure on the U.S. Sentencing Commission. Jackson’s nomination is being hurried to a committee vote Monday, ahead of the Easter recess. What could possibly be the rush? As if it were not disgusting enough that a judge like Jackson sits on the federal bench, Americans are getting a Resurrection Sunday present of this judge being ushered into a lifetime Supreme Court appointment with bipartisan support.

Even though Republicans do not control the Senate majority, they have the means of slowing the process to insert some much-needed deliberation to this hasty process. 

The Federalist’s Rachel Bovard cites a technique that has been used effectively by such legislative impresarios as Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Pat Toomey (R-Penn.) to block legislation and nominations at the committee level. Senate Rule 26 gives veto power to the minority over practically anything. The catch? It only works when the Senate is in a 50-50 tie, as it is right now. The Republicans could simply refuse to provide a quorum in the committee for the Jackson vote, permanently stalling the vote and all but ending her nomination. Using Senate Rule 26, Republicans could avert a terrible catastrophe for the Court.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/03/republicans-can-stop-the-ketanji-brown-jackson-nomination/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Republicans Can Stop the Ketanji Brown Jackson Nomination
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 12:25:02 pm »
GOP has proven many many times that "can" and "will" are normally exclusive conceptual terms especially when it comes to any decision that might take a tad of courage.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Republicans Can Stop the Ketanji Brown Jackson Nomination
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 02:00:54 pm »
GOP has proven many many times that "can" and "will" are normally exclusive conceptual terms especially when it comes to any decision that might take a tad of courage.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien