Author Topic: The “100,000-Year Problem” and Earth’s Chaotic Non-Linear Climate  (Read 108 times)

rebewranger

The “100,000-Year Problem” and Earth’s Chaotic Non-Linear Climate
12 hours ago Guest Blogger
Mike Jonas

My paper (“the paper”) on the “100,000-year problem” has been published. Many thanks to WUWT reader Burl Henry for recommending the WJARR journal – most journals are quite simply too expensive for unfunded authors like me (eg, 9,500 Euros to be open-access in Nature).

The paper: The inter-glacial cycle is not a 100,000-year cycle, it is a shorter cycle with missing beats

The main point of the paper is that the 100,000-year and 41,000-year inter-glacial cycles that are the subject of the “100,000-year problem” never existed.

I won’t repeat the abstract here – you can access it, and the whole paper which is open-access, at the above link. I find it difficult to believe that any rational person could still believe that climate models can work, given the IPCC’s statement that “long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible“. The paper provides empirical evidence supporting that IPCC statement. Even though the paper refers only to multi-thousand-year cycles, it seems reasonable to suppose that similar non-linear chaotic features apply at both longer and shorter time-scales too. There still seem to be plenty of irrational people in climate science, though.

This supposed “100,000-year problem” has an interesting history:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/03/28/the-100000-year-problem-and-earths-chaotic-non-linear-climate/

Offline Kamaji

So why is the interglaciation period skipping beats, and why has it started skipping more beats than it skipped earlier?