Author Topic: Why the 14th Amendment has surfaced in midterms  (Read 246 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Why the 14th Amendment has surfaced in midterms
« on: March 27, 2022, 01:23:30 am »
Why the 14th Amendment has surfaced in midterms

An 1868 amendment to the U.S. Constitution best known for protecting the due process rights of previously enslaved Americans has resurfaced in certain congressional races this year.

Some attorneys and voters believe a rarely cited section of the 14th Amendment dealing with insurrection can disqualify a handful of U.S. House members from seeking reelection for events surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol.

First-term Republican firebrands Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina and Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia are among those targeted. Both are strong supporters of former President Donald Trump who have pushed his unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

It's a largely untested argument working its way through election agencies in at least three states, with little success so far. But court cases and appeals could address the extent to which state officials can scrutinize the minimum qualifications for candidates for federal office.

There are five sections to the amendment. The best-known declares that no state can “deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

Section 3 of the amendment also declares that no one can serve in Congress “who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress ... to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same.” This section was designed to keep representatives who had fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War from returning to Congress. The amendment, however, allows Congress to pass laws that can remove such restrictions...............

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-explains-why-14th-amendment-204016181.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Killer Clouds

Re: Why the 14th Amendment has surfaced in midterms
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 01:42:19 am »
What insurrection? Can anyone name at least one person that has been convicted of insurrection from the Jan 6 riot?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Why the 14th Amendment has surfaced in midterms
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 12:38:49 pm »
Some attorneys and voters believe a rarely cited section of the 14th Amendment dealing with insurrection can disqualify a handful of U.S. House members from seeking reelection for events surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol.

They had better be careful,lest they get what they think they want.

After all,that also applies to the current administration,and the illegal "undercover police state moves" they made to make the protestors look like criminals,to hinder their use of Free Speech,and to actual imprison them without bail and hold them without court convictions.

It is times like this when I really wish I had gone to law school.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!