Author Topic: Elon Musk Complains About Twitter Algorithm, Claims 'De Facto Bias'—CEO Starts Poll to Make it Open  (Read 684 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
 Isaiah Richard, Tech Times 24 March 2022

Elon Musk Complains About Twitter Algorithm, Claims 'De Facto Bias'—CEO Starts Poll to Make it Open Source

Elon Musk is famous for using the social media platform of Twitter to express his opinions and bring many updates to his ventures but is now complaining about its algorithm. The tech CEO said that Twitter has "de facto bias" on the platform, and the billionaire started a poll on the platform to make its code open-sourced for the public to enjoy.

See new Tweets
Conversation
Tim Urban
@waitbutwhy
·
Mar 23
I'm in an ongoing relationship with a moody, sensitive, grudge-holding, and generally crazy girlfriend called the Twitter algorithm. Everything will be going fine and then suddenly I'm getting the cold-shoulder and I don't even really know what I did and just have to wait it out.
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Replying to
@waitbutwhy
I’m worried about de facto bias in “the Twitter algorithm” having a major effect on public discourse.

How do we know what’s really happening?

Elon Musk: Twitter's Algorithm Features De Facto Bias

The Tesla founder replied to a tweet on Twitter's platform, and it talked about the problems that Tim Urban has with social media and its system present today. Musk claimed that Twitter has 'de facto bias' present in its code, and it worries the CEO as it features a significant effect on public discourse happening on its day-to-day.

Musk also questions what is happening on Twitter daily.

Billy Markus also joined the conversation and talked about not knowing the public discourse with Twitter's algorithm, and he spoke of social media platforms having this power. With this, Musk said Twitter's algorithm should be open-sourced, and it is something that the company needs to give the public for its many needs in it.

Musk Created a Poll to Appeal Open-Sourced Twitter

The conversation steered the tech CEO to appeal online, asking the public for a vote regarding their opinions on making Twitter open-sourced. The poll is still open if the people want to vote on Twitter's algorithm and code, with its current users answering the CEO's tweet already amounting to more than 820,000 votes, with 83 percent in agreement with Musk.

More: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/273468/20220324/elon-musk-complains-twitter-algorithm-claims-de-facto-bias%E2%80%94ceo-starts.htm