Author Topic: What Is A Woman, Judge Jackson?  (Read 134 times)

Online Kamaji

What Is A Woman, Judge Jackson?
« on: March 24, 2022, 05:55:33 pm »
What Is A Woman, Judge Jackson?

It is easy to mock Jackson's response, but from a progressive perspective, it is not an easy question to answer.

By JOHN HIRSCHAUER
MARCH 24, 2022

In the waning hours of a marathon second day of Kentanji Brown Jackson’s confirmation hearings, Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) asked whether Jackson could define the word “woman.” Jackson said she could not, at least, “not in this context.” After all, she said, she is “not a biologist.”

It is easy to mock her response. But it was not, from a progressive perspective, an easy question to answer. It forces the respondent to navigate several competing and contradictory left-wing claims about sex and identity.

The first is that the United States is, in some enduring sense, “a patriarchy”—that is, it was designed by men to benefit men and subjugate women. This claim requires a definition of the word “woman” so clear and unambiguous that a group of men could successfully construct an entire social order dedicated to the oppression of women.

The second claim, related to the first, is that women are and have been corporately oppressed in the United States. This again requires that “women” exist as a distinct and definable class of persons.

The third claim is that marginalized groups of people have perspectives that are unique to those groups and inaccessible to people who do not belong to those groups. Hence proponents’ claim that it is important to have a “black woman’s perspective” on the Supreme Court, which implies that women have a perspective meaningfully different from and inaccessible to men.

The fourth claim, quite at odds with the first three, is that a person with male reproductive organs and a Y chromosome who claims to be a woman is, in fact, a woman. Womanhood, according to this view, has no objective component, and can be claimed by any person who sincerely identifies as “a woman.” It is a self-referential definition.

If Jackson answered Blackburn’s question correctly—”a woman is an adult human female”—she would have run afoul of the fourth claim. If she answered incorrectly, she would run afoul of the first three claims. She also would have seemed like a lunatic.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/state-of-the-union/what-is-a-woman-judge-jackson/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: What Is A Woman, Judge Jackson?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 06:13:52 pm »
Who GAF she's not a Biologist?  I am not a Veterinarian, but I can recognize a dog or a cat.

The author gets it that Blackburn's question is impossible for a committed and militant left-winger to answer in a way that doesn't get the rest of the leftists up in arms.

Kudos to Marsha!

I also liked the question John Kennedy (R-LA) asked about when the 14th Amendment equal protection attaches to an infant.  "Birth" is not clear enough when you have states like NY trying to approve abortions for a baby less than a month out of the womb.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 06:17:41 pm »
For many years of human existence, there was never a debate on what a man is or what a woman is.

Even if you ask most people that question now, they would look at you dumbfounded for asking such a strange question

We are all being dragged around by a very tiny, but loud and psychotic minority
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 06:37:38 pm »
For many years of human existence, there was never a debate on what a man is or what a woman is.

Even if you ask most people that question now, they would look at you dumbfounded for asking such a strange question

:thumbsup:

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 07:36:13 pm »

That is the sad truth. A minority of loud mouths drag the majority around and get their way. 

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 07:41:49 pm »