Author Topic: Free stuff for the homeless doesn't work out the way Oakland's 'tiny houses' advocates thought it wo  (Read 211 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 22, 2022
Free stuff for the homeless doesn't work out the way Oakland's 'tiny houses' advocates thought it would
By Monica Showalter

Seems the idea of "free homes" for the homeless, touted as a panacea to end the problem, isn't quite working out the way its advocates said it would.

In Oakland, at a concentrated community of "tiny homes," given out by the city to the homeless, the result was this, according to The Oaklandside:

A fire Monday morning incinerated three tiny-home shelters at a city-run transitional-housing site at E. 12th Street and 2nd Avenue, across from Lake Merritt.

Nobody was injured, according to authorities, but five people who were living in the scorched shelters were displaced. A fourth tiny-home was damaged as well.

Oakland Fire Department Chief of Staff Michael J. Hunt said the cause of the fire, which began around 10 a.m., is under investigation. Twenty firefighters responded to the incident and got the fire under control by 10:30 a.m. Thick smoke from the blaze could be seen from downtown Oakland and neighborhoods around the lake.

And it looked like this:

https://twitter.com/OaklandFireLive/status/1505961905235451906

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/03/free_stuff_for_the_homeless_doesnt_work_out_the_way_oaklands_tiny_houses_advocates_thought_it_would.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I hope the meth lab didn’t withstand too much in damages

:silly: :silly:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Homelessness is the RESULT of the personal problems and struggles many of these individuals have.

Giving them homes is a start, not a solution, to getting their lives back on track, if they are willing to accept the help.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline LMAO

Nothing ever works out the way progressives “thought” they would
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Nothing ever works out the way progressives “thought” they would

Of course, because what matters to a progressive is their own feelings - they need to feel like they tried to make things better, like they cared - even if the results are, shall we say, less than spectacular.

In a way, though, they have succeeded; not because their programs or policies produce external good results, but because they end up feeling smug and self-satisfied, which was all they were really after in the first place.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Of course, because what matters to a progressive is their own feelings - they need to feel like they tried to make things better, like they cared - even if the results are, shall we say, less than spectacular.

In a way, though, they have succeeded; not because their programs or policies produce external good results, but because they end up feeling smug and self-satisfied, which was all they were really after in the first place.
Well, as long as they do what they do with YOUR money, that is.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

And get a substantial kickback under the table from it...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It must have sounded good on paper, and it's not like they are screwing with consequential people such as themselves...or anything.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

Virtue-signaling by liberals is always done with someone else's money.  After all, they're too busy being "virtuous" to actually pay for it!