Author Topic: AWOL Black Fathers  (Read 178 times)

Offline Kamaji

AWOL Black Fathers
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:37:14 pm »
AWOL Black Fathers

By John Washington
21 Mar 2022

When my mother called me in from play one afternoon to meet the man seated in our living room, her introduction was redundant—I immediately knew who he was. And, right off, I did not like him. His absence had been a painful matter in my life. The house that we lived in explained some of it. It was unfit for human tenancy—a decaying hovel with a leaking roof, creaking structures, and a termite infestation. I was ashamed to let anyone other than my closest friends know where I lived.

I was 12 that year of 1956. This was the Jim Crow South where poverty was the default condition of the black masses. Black males were restricted to the lowly crafts of ditch digger, janitor, and farmer, unless they catered directly to the black community, in which case the jobs of preacher, teacher, and shop-owner were also open. Most worked the hardscrabble categories so there was poverty all around, and since my mother was the only breadwinner, our poverty was wretched.

But this is not a story of black victimhood. This is, instead, an essay about a flaw in black culture that is just as uncomfortable for me to speak about as it is for my black brothers and sisters to hear. But a problem must be acknowledged before it can be fixed. And the failure of black fathers is among the worst problems afflicting our community.

Does the criminal behavior of some young black males today owe something to a sense of lost masculinity? I feel sure that this is so. A friend who works as an Army recruiter told me that so many black males have criminal records, the military is no longer the instrument for building machismo that it was when I joined. So, in inner-city communities where viciousness defines manhood, darker paths have become the option.

In 1965, a controversial report entitled “The Negro Family: A Case of National Action” was published by Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a sociologist working at the Labor Department. Moynihan concluded that a lot of the social problems affecting American blacks owed to the disintegration of the black family. “At the heart of the deterioration of the fabric of Negro society,” he wrote, “is the deterioration of the Negro family. It is the fundamental source of the weakness of the Negro community at the present time.” He went on:

I was stunned. A few months ago, I mentioned this to a black activist who was working on the problem of black violence in a nearby town. He had been trying to figure out why violence seemed to be endemic among their young black males and had reached a dead end. When I suggested that father-absence was not properly socializing black youth and asked him if he had read the Moynihan Report, he told me that the report was written by racist right-wingers determined to condemn blacks for their own misfortunes. I didn’t bring it up with him again. For now, the town’s solution is recreation centers.

It was not the first time I had heard the report dismissed in this way. It was basically the attitude of the black community upon the report’s publication. The backlash from the community was so militant and damning—reviling its author in the process—that the Johnson Administration dropped the issue and turned its attention to the Vietnam War. This reaction was not entirely surprising, given the demonization of blacks by many whites since first contact in the 1400s. Denigration used to justify outrageous and dehumanizing treatment produced a hypersensitivity among blacks that reflexively prevents us from accepting criticism from outsiders. Criticism from insiders has become something like heresy.

My childhood was filled with influential male role models who tackled life with guts and grit even though they were bent double by their humble labors and by the indignities of Jim Crow. These were my maternal grandfather, uncles, older cousins, and the responsible black fathers in the neighborhood, who took care of my early development as a young man until I got to the Army. I was part of a large clan that formed a protective ring around my mother and me. I was passed around my maternal grandparents, aunts and uncles, and older cousins who looked after me while my mother worked as a maid.

When I map these early experiences onto the experience of the black community today, I am angered that such a support system no longer exists. Where are my people? I would not have survived some of today’s inner-city neighborhoods plagued by high rates of father absence and no fill-in dads. Without family, homo sapiens would be a failed species.

Astonishingly, the subject of father-absence remains taboo among many black activists, even though the rate of father-absence among blacks is horrifying. For these activists, any attempt to discuss black cultural failures is a kind of victim-blaming and a distraction from what really ails the black community—the persistence of white supremacy.

The FBI’s crime database contains more chilling and embarrassing facts—data so inglorious that it took me a long time to accept them. I love my people and what I was reading left me angered and distressed. But I was not looking at opinion, I was looking at indisputable statistics, and they began to alter the way I thought about myself and my people. They finally cleared my psyche of victimology.

Source:  https://quillette.com/2022/03/21/awol-black-fathers/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: AWOL Black Fathers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 06:34:58 pm »
With friends like this activist, black folks have little need for enemies:

When I suggested that father-absence was not properly socializing black youth and asked him if he had read the Moynihan Report, he told me that the report was written by racist right-wingers determined to condemn blacks for their own misfortunes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:26 pm »
With friends like this activist, black folks have little need for enemies:

Exactly.  Which was one of the main points the author of the article was making.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 07:56:52 pm »
AWOL fathers was baked in the cake of LBJ's "Great Society" programs!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 12:45:17 am »
The "black nuclear family" is gone.

It will NEVER come back, so long as current social policies remain in place.

Considering that between 75-80% of all black births are illegitimate, and that this trend has been increasing over several generations, the notion of a "traditional family" among blacks is a lost concept. Blacks have no "connection" to it, and the concept of "a traditional family" may even be viewed with negative connotations, as "being white".

This catastrophe could be corrected, but to do so would require policies so draconian that not a single member of this forum would approve.

It's not going to happen.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 01:27:47 am »
There are AWOL Black fathers and there are MIA White fathers as well.  We have a moral break down in our society period.  IMHO I blame a lot on the Women's Lib movement.  Certainly I'm all for equal pay and equal rights, but it used to be Mom's for the most part stayed home and Dad's were the breadwinners.

LBJ was disastrous to our society, encouraging and creating generations living on welfare.  I have known 'couples' that don't get married so that they can collect an extra welfare check, yet live in the same household.

I realize that because of the cost of living it now takes 2 breadwinners to exist .... however, 1 car can be used instead of 2. Extravagant vacations are not necessary. A TV in every room included gaming machines is excessive, etc., etc. Does a 7 year old really need his or her own cellphone? Do kids really need extreme birthday parties?  I've attended birthday parties with my grandkids and they do parties at waterparks, theme parks, hired entertainment -- ridiculous.

There are lots of frills in society that add to the everyday living expenses that people just don't seem to be able to do without; multiple cars, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles,  expensive hair treatments, artificial nails, tattoos, dining out all the time, multiple vacations, etc., etc.  Lots of added expenses that could be done without so at least one parent is home with the children or attending to the children.

Marriage has taken a back seat and the norm is just living together and it is not uncommon for children to be born out of wedlock.

God has been tossed aside.  It used to be everyone attended church on Sundays and got together after church  I get it, I'm not a church goer either for various reasons such as the Ecumenical movement and then there are people who have to work on Sundays.  I do remember everyone dressed up in their Sunday best and women used to wear Easter bonnets at Easter time.  Now days you walk into church and jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes and shorts are common.

Call me old fashioned, but I preferred life when things were much simpler and people cared about moral values and family values.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.