Author Topic: Trump-aligned 'America First' holdouts don't follow GOP in backing Ukraine  (Read 316 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump-aligned 'America First' holdouts don't follow GOP in backing Ukraine

They are a distinct minority in their own party and, for that matter, their country: Republican holdouts amid an ever-widening consensus that Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine poses a mortal threat to American interests.

A far right wing of the Republican Party tightly bound to former President Donald Trump is fighting to push the GOP toward the “America First” isolationism that underpinned his 2016 presidential bid.

For the first time since Trump’s rise, his party is pushing back.

That much was clear from the House vote Thursday on a bill ending normal trade relations with Russia as punishment for attacking Ukraine. A total of 202 Republicans joined with 222 Democrats in voting to allow the Biden administration to raise tariffs on Russia, a rare bipartisan consensus in an era of fierce polarization.

Eight Republicans voted against the measure, including Trump loyalists like Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia. In a speech on the House floor Thursday, Greene gave a succinct summary of an America First argument that has been getting little traction in the face of deepening sympathy for the Ukrainians’ suffering. After objecting to the abundant attention the war is getting, she said that what “real Americans care about are gas prices that they can’t afford,” inflation and security along the southern border.

Echoing that sentiment, Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado, whom Trump has endorsed for re-election, explained her vote: “Congress keeps focusing on distractions abroad and not our own challenges brought on by Joe Biden at home.”...........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-aligned-america-first-holdouts-125207180.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

:bkmk:

Online LMAO

They need to be careful on this. This is worthy of debate and needs to happen but a divided GOP in 2024 could help Joe Biden get reelected
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:46:44 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

But, it does seem that many in Congress are more concerned over the plight of Ukrainians over that of Americans

I’m not equating people suffering through the ravages of war to having to pay more for gasoline. But it does seem the primary focus for Congress is Ukraine
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

But, it does seem that many in Congress are more concerned over the plight of Ukrainians over that of Americans

I’m not equating people suffering through the ravages of war to having to pay more for gasoline. But it does seem the primary focus for Congress is Ukraine

The primary focus of Congress should be Americans first!  Our borders, our economy, energy independence, etc.  Under Trump illegal immigration was down, the border was just about sealed, we were energy independent, jobs were coming back and unemployment was down.  So what truly was the downside??   I'll gladly deal with his 'character' vs. Joe's. I'll gladly accept America First over Joe's America doesn't matter.

I truly question the motives of those members of the GOP who are bent on ensuring that Trump is unable to run again; Cheney, Kinzinger, Mittens, Pence, etc.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

I have absolutely ZERO confidence that the biden administration and congress has the capacity to remotely comprehend the complexities, risk, tactics or even the desire to understand and appreciate the risks that our military and citizens of other nations will endure should they use the same ignorant approach problem solving skills they have used over the last 14 months to solve the Ukraine crises.   Our "representatives" are simply interested in their social media likes/clicks and cocktail parties and simply do not take their job seriously enough to tackle russia.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

It has seemed the primary focus of the majority of the GOP in Congress has been on anything but resisting the Biden destruction, and there always seem to be just enough defectors to ensure that agenda gets passed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis