Author Topic: Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire
« on: March 19, 2022, 04:50:55 pm »
Glenn Greenwald
@ggreenwald

Also worth re-visiting: this 2017 @Politico article on how Ukrainian officials tried to influence the 2016 US Presidential election by working with DNC operatives to help Hillary and undermine Trump, based on their belief that Hillary would win.

12:23 PM · Mar 19, 2022   Twitter Web App 

Politico, Jan 11, 2017

Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump by publicly questioning his fitness for office. They also disseminated documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggested they were investigating the matter, only to back away after the election. And they helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers, a Politico investigation found.

A Ukrainian-American operative who was consulting for the Democratic National Committee met with top officials in the Ukrainian Embassy in Washington in an effort to expose ties between Trump, top campaign aide Paul Manafort and Russia, according to people with direct knowledge of the situation.

The Ukrainian efforts had an impact in the race, helping to force Manafort’s resignation and advancing the narrative that Trump’s campaign was deeply connected to Ukraine’s foe to the east, Russia. But they were far less concerted or centrally directed than Russia’s alleged hacking and dissemination of Democratic emails.

More:  https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Ukrainian efforts to sabotage Trump backfire
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 04:53:33 pm »

Politico, Jan 11, 2017

Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump by publicly questioning his fitness for office. They also disseminated documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggested they were investigating the matter, only to back away after the election. And they helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers, a Politico investigation found.

A Ukrainian-American operative who was consulting for the Democratic National Committee met with top officials in the Ukrainian Embassy in Washington in an effort to expose ties between Trump, top campaign aide Paul Manafort and Russia, according to people with direct knowledge of the situation.

The Ukrainian efforts had an impact in the race, helping to force Manafort’s resignation and advancing the narrative that Trump’s campaign was deeply connected to Ukraine’s foe to the east, Russia. But they were far less concerted or centrally directed than Russia’s alleged hacking and dissemination of Democratic emails.

More:  https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ukraine-sabotage-trump-backfire-233446

People tend to forget.  Burisma anyone?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 06:05:56 pm »

The "black ledger".

Manafort.

Impeachment.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:18:53 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 07:12:45 pm »
The "black ledger".

Manaort.

Impeachment.

Trump possibly uncovered the deal between Joe and the Ukraine and Putin has been backed into a corner?

I did find it interesting that when Putin first took aim at Ukraine, Trump was asked, what message he had for Putin.  Trump's response was, he had no message.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 07:32:04 pm »
Considering Trump is no longer in the White House, seems like it worked pretty well to me.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 07:37:38 pm »
Considering Trump is no longer in the White House, seems like it worked pretty well to me.

??? Seriously?  At what cost?  Thousands of lives lost.  Hundreds of thousands fleeing to a neighboring country. Globalization taking over. U.S. economy tanking. U.S. loss of energy independence. Threat of WW III. Putin using dagger missiles.

Gee ... it seems like things worked much better under Trump and the world was in a much better place.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 08:25:40 pm »
You mean @Hoodat hasn't weighed in on his love of the Ukranian government yet?

Also didn't hear much around the tendency of Ukranian officals to like use MSNBC as their conduit for information to this country.

I am sure there isn't anything up with that.  /s

Like I have said, both sides are wickedly complict in this matter, and its only Putin's ruthlessness, that I have to throw my support behind the Ukranian people, but ZERO for their government.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:27:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »

@catfish1957

Again, show me where I expressed love for the Ukrainian government or defended the Ukrainian political structure.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 05:25:17 am »

@catfish1957

Unless his family is from Ukraine,I very much doubt he or anyone else here is a super fan of Ukraine.

I suspect MOST of the support for Ukraine comes from the FACT that they were invaded by a MUCH larger country  with many more weapons and soldiers,in an unprovoked invasion.

On top of that,they managed to pretty much stop the Russians. If not totally,they at least stalled them and took what Putin was sure to have thought was an "easy conquest" away from him.

Most Americans tend to root for the underdog,and in this dust-up,Ukraine was clearly the underdog.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 05:31:41 am »

Also didn't hear much around the tendency of Ukranian officals to like use MSNBC as their conduit for information to this country.

I am sure there isn't anything up with that.  /s

Like I have said, both sides are wickedly complict in this matter, and its only Putin's ruthlessness, that I have to throw my support behind the Ukranian people, but ZERO for their government.

You do know that Putin's puppet was in charge in 2017 don't you?

Facts do matter.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 07:53:51 am »
Facts do matter.

Not to some people in here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 09:12:11 am »
You do know that Putin's puppet was in charge in 2017 don't you?

Facts do matter.

@DB

Trump was President in 2017,and if you are trying to claim that Trump was Putin's puppet you are beyond being delusional. You are a complete and utter fool on the professional level.

Hell,you make Biden look rational by comparison.

Now,if you typed 2017 by mistake,and we ALL make mistakes,you need to speak up NOW and name who you had in mind.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 09:13:16 am »
Not to some people in here.

@Hoodat

So,are you claiming you also think Trump was Putin's puppet?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 01:06:50 pm »
@Hoodat

So,are you claiming you also think Trump was Putin's puppet?

Uh, no.  That would be silly.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 01:08:38 pm »
@DB

Trump was President in 2017

Poroshenko was President in 2017.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 01:11:21 pm »
@DB

Trump was President in 2017,and if you are trying to claim that Trump was Putin's puppet you are beyond being delusional. You are a complete and utter fool on the professional level.

Hell,you make Biden look rational by comparison.

Now,if you typed 2017 by mistake,and we ALL make mistakes,you need to speak up NOW and name who you had in mind.

@sneakypete

I believe the reference was to Petro Poroshenko.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 01:49:01 pm »
Poroshenko was President in 2017.

@Hoodat

Ok,I see where the confusion came from.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 01:50:21 pm »
@sneakypete

I believe the reference was to Petro Poroshenko.

@DCPatriot

My bad. Thanks for the heads up on this. I shouldn't post when I am sleepy.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 01:51:32 pm »
@Hoodat

Ok,I see where the confusion came from.

Okay outside Loch Walensa, when was there ever "not" at a despot at the helm in Eastern Europe/USSR-Russia.

Maybe there is one, but I can't think of any.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:50:37 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 02:13:37 pm »
Okay outside Loch Walensa, when was tbere ever "not" at a depsot at the helm in Eastern Europe/USSR-Russia.

@catfish1957

Beats me. Then again,I am not an expert on  Medieval Russian leaders. Even back then it SEEMS like they had rulers with names like "Ivan,the Terrible",and THESE were the guys they looked up to and admired.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 04:48:56 pm »
Okay outside Loch Walensa, when was tbere ever "not" at a depsot at the helm in Eastern Europe/USSR-Russia.

@catfish1957

Beats me. Then again,I am not an expert on  Medieval Russian leaders. Even back then it SEEMS like they had rulers with names like "Ivan,the Terrible",and THESE were the guys they looked up to and admired,

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 03:34:04 am »
Not forgetting, but this was under Petro Poroshenko's Presidency.

The current President took office May 20, 2019
Unlike all his predecessors, he had no prior history of being elected to office.
That detail sounds more like Trump.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 03:25:50 pm »
Not forgetting, but this was under Petro Poroshenko's Presidency.

The current President took office May 20, 2019
Unlike all his predecessors, he had no prior history of being elected to office.
That detail sounds more like Trump.

@Smokin Joe

No,but unlike Trump,he DID have a history of being a career intelligence officer with the Red Army.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:26:38 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 03:29:43 pm »
@Smokin Joe

No,but unlike Trump,he DID have a history of being a career intelligence officer with the Red Army.

Who Zelenskyy?  He was about 13 y.o. when the Soviet Union fell apart.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 03:43:50 pm »
The biggest scumbag of the bunch is Viktor Yanukovych.  He is probably the one who convinced Putin that Ukraine would be a cake walk.