Author Topic: DuckDuckGone?  (Read 440 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
DuckDuckGone?
« on: March 19, 2022, 03:06:33 pm »
DuckDuckGone?
The key question remains: Where can users find a search engine that both respects privacy and rejects censorship?
By Thaddeus G. McCotter
March 18, 2022

To some users, it feels like another Big Tech bait and switch. To others, it’s a case of getting half a loaf. But to many, it’s a betrayal of a principled promise. The search engine DuckDuckGo will now begin making judgments about the accuracy of the information produced by its search algorithms.

As Breitbart reports in “Diet Google: DuckDuckGo Will ‘Down-Rank’ What It Decides Is ‘Disinformation,’”, the company’s CEO and founder, Gabriel Weinberg, posted a Twitter thread announcing that, as part of standing with Ukraine, the search engine had been

rolling out search updates that down-rank sites associated with Russian disinformation.

In addition to down-ranking sites associated with disinformation, we also often place news modules and information boxes at the top of DuckDuckGo search results (where they are seen and clicked the most) to highlight quality information for rapidly unfolding topics.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2022/03/18/duckduckgone/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

Re: DuckDuckGone?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 03:08:24 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 03:21:15 pm »
https://www.startpage.com/

Thanks, I was a loyal Duckduck user since about their start up.  I also see there is a search engine called "Brave" out there being touted.  Any pros or cons with these or others out there.  Your expertise and experience in these matters is appreciated.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 03:21:59 pm »
https://www.startpage.com/

I've had DDG for quite some time as my default.  Looks like time for a change....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 03:36:31 pm »
I've had DDG for quite some time as my default.  Looks like time for a change....

They destroyed their own brand.    **nononono*

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 03:49:38 pm »
Thanks, I was a loyal Duckduck user since about their start up.  I also see there is a search engine called "Brave" out there being touted.  Any pros or cons with these or others out there.  Your expertise and experience in these matters is appreciated.

I have settled on StartPage. It is quick and fairly efficient, though if going in-depth it may not be as good as a multi-search (DogPile, etc) search engine... But it suffices for me 98% of the time.

Brave search is the search engine/page for Brave browser - a fork of Firefox. I am not able to tell you much more.  :shrug: It's on my list, but I already know I will not be going to Brave browser... Firefox does me just fine.

https://brave.com/
https://search.brave.com/

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 03:51:03 pm »

Such is life.  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 04:00:28 pm »
I have settled on StartPage. It is quick and fairly efficient, though if going in-depth it may not be as good as a multi-search (DogPile, etc) search engine... But it suffices for me 98% of the time.

That's good enough for me.  bkmked.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 04:06:10 pm »
Hey y'all...

I might add that I have nothing against Brave, that I choose Firefox - It is more about interoperability between devices, syncing between devices, and broad add-on support.

All that is pretty complicated and will take a while for me to suss out... So I stick with what I know... Further, I have to carefully introduce new software to my clients and must remain on top of the ones I recommend... So it is a slow adoption process for me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 05:29:25 pm »
rolling out search updates that down-rank sites associated with Russian disinformation.

In addition to down-ranking sites associated with disinformation, we also often place news modules and information boxes at the top of DuckDuckGo search results (where they are seen and clicked the most) to highlight quality information for rapidly unfolding topics.

These are bad things?

Serious question from a non-tech guy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 05:49:47 pm »
These are bad things?

Serious question from a non-tech guy.

So...who decides what's disinformation or high-quality?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 06:07:26 pm »

Exactly.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 06:13:15 pm »

Brave search is the search engine/page for Brave browser - a fork of Firefox. I am not able to tell you much more.  :shrug: It's on my list, but I already know I will not be going to Brave browser... Firefox does me just fine.

https://brave.com/
https://search.brave.com/

TBR is listed here..scroll down

https://search.brave.com/search?q=conservative+forums&source=web

https://search.brave.com/search?q=conservative+discussion+forums&source=web
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:14:36 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 06:22:26 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

Any reader who is curious enough to research it?

In the end,"WE" are always the ones who decide what is right or wrong to us.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 06:38:55 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Any reader who is curious enough to research it?

In the end,"WE" are always the ones who decide what is right or wrong to us.

It's hard to "research" anything if the search engines won't list both sides of arguments.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 08:01:05 pm »
For later.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 10:10:03 pm »
I use Brave (on the Mac) and find it useful now and then.
Better for some searches than Apple's own Safari (which uses google by default but also offers others, including DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo and Ecosia).

I'd also suggest that Briefers try "WaterFox" (a derivation of FireFox, I reckon). What's REALLY nice about WaterFox is that you can open an empty browser window, then CHOOSE the search engine you wish to use by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search box (rather than having to delve into the app's preferences to select it).

ALL browsers should operate this way.
Perhaps there's an extension/add-on for other browsers that can do this, that I don't already know about...