Author Topic: Scoop: White House considered sending Americans gas cards  (Read 228 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Scoop: White House considered sending Americans gas cards
« on: March 19, 2022, 08:49:51 pm »
Scoop: White House considered sending Americans gas cards
Sophia Cai

The White House considered giving Americans gas cards to help offset high prices, but faced strong opposition from congressional committees, which questioned the plan's viability and effectiveness.

Why it matters: The Biden administration is feeling political pressure from high energy costs, made worse by Western sanctions against Russia, and Democrats desperately want to offer some kind of policy response.

What we're watching: The White House this week considered having the IRS send gas cards to Americans — a short-lived idea that some key House Democrats vehemently opposed.

The idea came up as part of a broader package to address gas prices, which is still in its early stages, a senior Democratic aide told Axios.

A House Democratic counsel on Wednesday laid out for the White House a list of reasons why gas cards would be a bad idea, including:

It would be expensive and poorly targeted.
    It could worsen inflation and wouldn't do much to lower costs.
    Delivering the cards would be a slow process that could bog down the IRS in the middle of the filing season, potentially delaying people's tax returns.

more
https://www.axios.com/biden-democrats-gas-prices-inflation-russia-sanctions-2e647ba7-116d-4a49-b3a4-3cad156c1148.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-gascards

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Scoop: White House considered sending Americans gas cards
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 09:27:23 pm »
Just what we need a new EBT card.  A FBT.  FJB
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 09:53:14 pm »
The idea came up as part of a broader package to address gas prices, which is still in its early stages, a senior Democratic aide told Axios.
I don't suppose one of those "stages" includes drilling for oil on federal land or expanding pipelines.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:05:51 pm »
Just what we need a new EBT card.  A FBT.  FJB

Imagine ... a gas card with Joe's face on it...reminding us that he did this.

No. I don't need a darn gas card, what I need is a new President that will once more allow this country to be energy independent!

FJB!!!!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 10:12:52 pm »
Hollywood Celebrities, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jane Fonda, Mark Ruffalo, Oppose Canadian Natural Gas Pipeline as Energy Prices Soar

Hollywood celebrities including Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, and Jane Fonda are protesting a Canadian natural gas pipeline that they claim represents a threat to the climate and indigenous rights.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/03/19/hollywood-celebrities-leonardo-dicaprio-jane-fonda-mark-ruffalo-oppose-canadian-natural-gas-pipeline-as-energy-prices-soar/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 10:16:26 pm »
How long before these "gas cards" turned into "gas rationing cards" ...?

A fixed number of gallons that the bearer could purchase per month...

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 10:20:21 pm »
A DCP neighbor of mine told me:
"Every morning when I get up I hit myself in the head with a hammer. Then I take some painkillers and the pain goes away. I wish I could figure out why I get such a bad headache every morning."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 10:52:18 pm »
A stupid idea.

How do they separate those with and without cars that could use them?

Better to just drop the federal gasoline taxes and it can get to those who need it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:53:20 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington