Author Topic: Gov. Youngkin proposes emergency legislation to suspend Virginia’s gas tax  (Read 855 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Gov. Youngkin proposes emergency legislation to suspend Virginia’s gas tax
ABC News/8, Mar 16, 2022

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Gov. Glenn Youngkin announced plans Wednesday to introduce emergency legislation that would suspend state gas taxes for three months.

The bill will suspend the entire state portion of the gas tax, equating to an estimated $0.26 per gallon. According to the Code of Virginia, gas distributors – those who set the prices at the pump – will temporarily not have to pay the tax.

Following the allocated three months of the proposed “Gas Tax Holiday,” the tax will be phased back in, according to Youngkin.

The proposed legislation would use over $437 million in unanticipated transportation revenues to support the bill.

Youngkin said the bill will be effective immediately, should the bill be approved by the legislature.

More:  https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/gov-youngkin-proposes-emergency-legislation-to-suspend-virginias-gas-tax-immediately/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I call political Shenanigans ... it's just a GOP/Dem election gimmick ... need to increase domestic energy production (drill, baby, drill), processing (refining), and to improve distribution (pipelines, ports).
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I call political Shenanigans ... it's just a GOP/Dem election gimmick ... need to increase domestic energy production (drill, baby, drill), processing (refining), and to improve distribution (pipelines, ports).
Shenanigans or not Iam sure that Virginians would appreciate it. It would never happen in California with Noisme, it would drop the price bu near a buck.

Offline Kamaji

To a degree, yes, but the governor of Virginia may not have a lot of options in that regard other than reducing the gas tax.

Offline verga

He did not run on this, but I know I would welcome it, and so would a lot of other people.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.