Author Topic: Facing Future Threats, Time for Air Force to Stockpile Munitions is Now, Experts Say  (Read 103 times)

rebewranger

Facing Future Threats, Time for Air Force to Stockpile Munitions is Now, Experts Say
March 15, 2022 | By Nick Adde

Like their colleagues throughout the Air Force, the service’s top munitions experts hail the potential of cutting-edge aircraft such as the F-35 Lightning II and B-21 Raider. But without enough of the right kind of munitions, they believe, these and other platforms could fall short of their potential when most needed.

“We lack a deep bench of stores for them when it comes to key weapons,” retired Maj. Gen. Larry Stutzriem told a March 3 audience during a panel discussion at the AFA Warfare Symposium.

Stutzreim, who moderated the discussion, is director of research at AFA’s Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies. He added that the munitions industrial complex is not large enough to surge production of necessary munitions when crises would demand it.

https://www.airforcemag.com/facing-future-threats-time-for-air-force-to-stockpile-munitions-is-now-experts-say/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It makes sense to me. I would think a large number of munitions would be pretty basic units, and will be around for some time. Keeping the plants going might bring a reduction in cost as well.

Sure, there is always another level of "gee whiz" around the corner, but quantity has a quality all its own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

It makes sense to me. I would think a large number of munitions would be pretty basic units, and will be around for some time. Keeping the plants going might bring a reduction in cost as well.

Sure, there is always another level of "gee whiz" around the corner, but quantity has a quality all its own.
The problem is transportation and storage.
When I was in, the munitions storage area was almost as large as the rest of the base simply to provide enough space between storage shelters that if something were to happen, it would not spread.
They also have a "shelf life", don't remember what it was but when we left SEA, EOD blew up a bunch because they were old and it was cheaper than moving them again.

Offline rustynail

Just more to abandon when they turn tail again.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just more to abandon when they turn tail again.
There are ways to get your money's worth out of them that were missed in the latest Bug-out.

Hopefully, those would be utilized in the event that should happen again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis