Author Topic: How to buy and install an EV home charger  (Read 649 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How to buy and install an EV home charger
« on: March 12, 2022, 02:43:45 am »

By Russ MitchellStaff Writer
March 11, 2022 12:35 PM PT

Gas prices? Pah! A few months ago, my family bought an electric car, used. A little 2018 BMW i3s. It looks weird but it drives great. Every time I pass long lines of cars and trucks waiting to fill up on $6-a-gallon gas, I admit, I feel a schadenfreude smile coming on.

But buying the car, it turns out, was a lot easier than buying a home charger and getting it installed, which was a serious hassle. Worth it in the end, but a hassle. And that government rebate I thought I’d been promised? Yeah, right.

You can get by without a home charger but I wouldn’t advise it. There are too few public chargers available at present for dependable refueling. And the price you pay is significantly higher than your cost of electricity at home.

A home charger isn’t cheap, though. Including installation, depending on what model you buy, the cost can top $1,500.

And hunting for charger isn’t easy. The challenges can be small or large depending on variables that include the age of your home, the state of its electrical system and how tough it is to find an installer in your area.

If stories about $7-a-gallon gasoline have you thinking it’s time for an EV, though, here are some hard-won tips that might save you some headaches.

more
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-03-11/how-to-buy-and-install-an-electric-car-home-charger
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: How to buy and install an EV home charger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 05:06:17 am »
First tap the incoming power before the meter :whistle: