Author Topic: Georgia high school coach suspended after restraining student who had loaded gun  (Read 490 times)

Offline Kamaji

Georgia high school coach suspended after restraining student who had loaded gun

By Emma Colton, Fox News
March 11, 2022

A Georgia high school coach was suspended after he defended himself and restrained a student who was in possession of a loaded weapon in school.

“I don’t feel like I did anything wrong,” Tri-Cities High School coach Kenneth Miller said, according to News 19. “I only adhered to what Fulton County School Board Policy says you’re allowed to do.”

Miller said that on Aug. 20, the school’s principal called him to her office about reports of students on campus with guns.

“During that process, we located guns. We saved lives,” Miller told Fox 5.

Miller confronted one female student while in the presence of police officers. Miller and the officers were unaware the student, who eyewitnesses described as belligerent and aggressive, had a gun at the time of the confrontation.

The situation escalated when the student hit Miller with a stapler, News 19 reported. Miller then grabbed the girl and restrained her until officers stepped in and took her into custody.

Miller was initially fired, but the school district later reversed the decision to a suspension which has lasted months, News 19 reported.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/03/11/georgia-tri-cities-hs-coach-kenneth-miller-suspended-for-restraining-student-with-loaded-gun/

Offline Kamaji

Stupid knows no bounds.  The coach should have been given a medal, not a suspension.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The more mayhem there is, the less they have to teach, and the less the students learn.

I have seen it before, during race riots when I was in High School.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

I don't understand this story. 
Miller confronted one female student while in the presence of police officers. Miller and the officers were unaware the student, who eyewitnesses described as belligerent and aggressive, had a gun at the time of the confrontation.

The situation escalated when the student hit Miller with a stapler, News 19 reported.

Why did the coach feel like he needed to step in when there were police officers right there? 
Also, I watched the video and it looked like she was throwing the stapler at the wall, not trying to hit him.

Not that she's an innocent dove, of course.  I just don't understand why the coach would have to intervene 'while in the presence of police officers' who apparently didn't feel threatened. 

I'm still going to be on the coach's side here, but it doesn't necessarily make sense as to why the situation developed as it did.

:shrug:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Georgia high school coach suspended after restraining student who had loaded gun

By Emma Colton, Fox News
March 11, 2022

A Georgia high school coach was suspended after he defended himself and restrained a student who was in possession of a loaded weapon in school.

“I don’t feel like I did anything wrong,” Tri-Cities High School coach Kenneth Miller said, according to News 19. “I only adhered to what Fulton County School Board Policy says you’re allowed to do.”

Miller said that on Aug. 20, the school’s principal called him to her office about reports of students on campus with guns.

“During that process, we located guns. We saved lives,” Miller told Fox 5.

The situation escalated when the student hit Miller with a stapler, News 19 reported. Miller then grabbed the girl and restrained her until officers stepped in and took her into custody.

Miller was initially fired, but the school district later reversed the decision to a suspension which has lasted months, News 19 reported.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/03/11/georgia-tri-cities-hs-coach-kenneth-miller-suspended-for-restraining-student-with-loaded-gun/

@Kamaji

Ahhhh,the joys of publick skools,wur sum studints are mo equal dan oder studints.

Not to menshun da teechurs.

I no dis causen ah wint to pubick skools.

"We is da wurld......

We iz da chilruns....."

Sang hit wid me brudders and sistas
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:21:09 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

I don't understand this story. 
Why did the coach feel like he needed to step in when there were police officers right there? 
Also, I watched the video and it looked like she was throwing the stapler at the wall, not trying to hit him.

Not that she's an innocent dove, of course.  I just don't understand why the coach would have to intervene 'while in the presence of police officers' who apparently didn't feel threatened. 

I'm still going to be on the coach's side here, but it doesn't necessarily make sense as to why the situation developed as it did.

:shrug:

Maybe because he knew that she had a concealed weapon?

Online Polly Ticks

Maybe because he knew that she had a concealed weapon?

The article said he was unaware. 
But I bet he had very strong suspicions.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra