Author Topic: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾  (Read 23879 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 03:57:03 pm »
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day everyone!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 08:40:57 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2022, 09:35:42 am »
The NATIONALS' Juan Soto has refused a 15yr/$450M offer.

Who can blame him?

They let:

1) Bryce Harper
2) Anthony Rendon
3) Trey Turner
4) Max Scherzer
and
5) Kyle Schwarber

all leave

Is it the lack of a DOME?  I realize the Summers are horrid!

My prediction is that he's going to become a NEW YORK YANKEE! 

Personally, don't think any "position" player is worth $450M...which is about $47K per PA (plate appearance)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:19:26 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

:thud:
Just amazing.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 08:24:53 pm »

:thud:
Just amazing.

To me, his body is like a Japanese Ken Griffey, Jr.. 
Bat speed and arm/leg whip are 2nd to none.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2022, 12:28:54 pm »
To me, his body is like a Japanese Ken Griffey, Jr.. 
Bat speed and arm/leg whip are 2nd to none.

I can see that.
He's super fun to watch, in any case. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2022, 05:28:18 pm »
The NATIONALS' Juan Soto has refused a 15yr/$450M offer.

Who can blame him?

They let:

1) Bryce Harper
2) Anthony Rendon
3) Trey Turner
4) Max Scherzer
and
5) Kyle Schwarber

all leave

Is it the lack of a DOME?  I realize the Summers are horrid!

My prediction is that he's going to become a NEW YORK YANKEE! 

Personally, don't think any "position" player is worth $450M...which is about $47K per PA (plate appearance)

Rumblings here that he may be an an orange uniform....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 05:41:22 pm »
Rumblings here that he may be an an orange uniform....

@GrouchoTex

LOL!  Who in the world are you going to throw 'Our' way in any deal?

But, he'd be a hoot in that dome!   I can still 'see' him hit it onto the railroad tracks in Left Field...OPPOSITE FIELD!! 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2022, 05:43:56 pm »
@GrouchoTex

LOL!  Who in the world are you going to throw 'Our' way in any deal?

But, he'd be a hoot in that dome!   I can still 'see' him hit it onto the railroad tracks in Left Field...OPPOSITE FIELD!!
There are some Triple A players that could be up now, but the roster is pretty crowded.
Heck, they Have 6 starters up now, and Lance McCullers Jr. set to come back.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2022, 06:33:31 pm »
There are some Triple A players that could be up now, but the roster is pretty crowded.
Heck, they Have 6 starters up now, and Lance McCullers Jr. set to come back.

We didn't get caught overpaying for Correa.  Guy's agent is Bora$$.    I'd pass.  Geez the guy is hitting .250 this year. He not worth anywhere near 450 million freaking dollars, or depleting the farm.

Let the yanquis overpay.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2022, 08:55:48 pm »
We didn't get caught overpaying for Correa.  Guy's agent is Bora$$.    I'd pass.  Geez the guy is hitting .250 this year. He not worth anywhere near 450 million freaking dollars, or depleting the farm.

Let the yanquis overpay.

I don't believe the Astros would offer more than 25m/5years, anyway., but that is still pretty high, but similar to what they offered Correa.
The thing is, Brantley is done, in my opinion.
Mid 30's and has hurt his shoulder a 3rd time, one that has had surgery twice already.
You never know, though.
Look at Verlander, 39 and coming off of Tommy John surgery.
Tucker, Siri,  McCormick, and Meyers are the outfield choices as of now.
Tucker is solid, an all-star.
The others have to prove themselves a bit more at the MLB level.
We'll see, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Astros go after a big bat outfielder for the playoff push.
If Yordan Alvarez comes back healthy, and one of the younger guys steps up, that would be the best scenario.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2022, 09:10:29 pm »
We didn't get caught overpaying for Correa.

Jeremy Pena has a higher WAR thus far. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2022, 09:14:46 pm »
Jeremy Pena has a higher WAR thus far.

Amazing isn't it. 

My biggest worry is paying Tucker, and some of those great young arms. Click is really going to have make some tough decisions in about 4 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 11:32:43 pm »
Supposedly the St. Louis Cards have jumped to the front of the line trying to put something together for Juan Soto AND Patrick Corbin's useless, bloated contract.

I can understand why the Lerner Family ownership is not quick to pay any one player that kind of money after what they got back on their investment in both Stephen Strasburg and now Patrick Corbin.

They convinced them the rotation needed a Southpaw with a good slider/curveball.

Currently, he's 4-13 with an ERA of 6.02.  :bolt:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2022, 04:12:06 pm »
Meanwhile in DC, in the annual Congressional Baseball Game, the GOP whalloped the Democrats 10-0. (Unexpectedly, I might add.)

And one of the Democrats, Linda Sanchez, flipped the opposing team the bird. Classy. Especially since it's a charity game. But hey, considering there was an assassination attempt on Steve Scalise a few years back (who returned this year as lead-off batter), that's an improvement, I guess.

But you won't see the score in the headlines.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/2022-congressional-baseball-game-democratic-rep-linda-sanchez-flips-off-republican-lawmakers

Full game:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?521942-1/lawmakers-participate-congressional-baseball-game
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2022, 04:58:07 pm »
Hopefully just the first of the Democrats' shellackings this year.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2022, 08:26:22 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@GrouchoTex
@jmyrlefuller

I understand why many of us have lowered our heads regarding professional sports in general, but
this trade of Juan Soto and Josh Bell to the Padres???

It...it...it...has me almost as excited as Chris Matthews' reaction to Barack Obama's winning the presidency.
But not as excited as Rachel Maddow vibrating 6 inches above her/his seat.

There are just a few major league teams that hold your attention on your TV screen.

The PADRES are now at the top of the list!  LOL!  Talk about "swagger"??

Who's going to pitch inside to Juan Soto?  LOL!  I'll bet we'll see a manager walk in a run rather than let him hit with the bases loaded.   happy77

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex

How do y'all feel about the trades the Astros made?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2022, 10:11:23 pm »
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex

I think Brent Strom shared enough with his successors about how to tweak a pitcher who may have some very fixable glitches.

If they can tweak Will Smith (from the Braves) like I am hoping, the Astros wil end up with a lefty-righty closer set up never seen in  playoff history.  (Pressley-Smith).

And we all know the importance of that come October.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2022, 10:42:13 pm »
@catfish1957
@Bigun
@GrouchoTex

I'm sorry @AllThatJazzZ but I don't feel anything at all. I haven't watched an inning of pro baseball or a down of pro football in quite a while and feel no need to do so ever again.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2022, 06:02:35 pm »
I think Brent Strom shared enough with his successors about how to tweak a pitcher who may have some very fixable glitches.

If they can tweak Will Smith (from the Braves) like I am hoping, the Astros wil end up with a lefty-righty closer set up never seen in  playoff history.  (Pressley-Smith).

@AllThatJazzZ
I like them.
Vasquez will take the place of Jason Castro, who is out for the year. He's a solid veteran who can hit a bit better than our current crop of catchers.
Mancini is the same, a solid veteran who can DH, Play left Field, and 1st Base. Hate to say it, I love Yuli Gurriel, but father time may have caught up with him.
Will Smith gives us a left-handed arm out of the bullpen, which we haven't had all year.
I agree with @catfish1957, that the new pitching coach learned well from Brent Strom, and that will bode well for Will Smith, (not to be confused with the fresh Prince of Bel-Air).

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2022, 06:04:38 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@GrouchoTex
@jmyrlefuller

I understand why many of us have lowered our heads regarding professional sports in general, but
this trade of Juan Soto and Josh Bell to the Padres???

I thought that the Astros may go after Josh Bell, but Mancini wasn't a bad pick up for them at all.

It...it...it...has me almost as excited as Chris Matthews' reaction to Barack Obama's winning the presidency.
But not as excited as Rachel Maddow vibrating 6 inches above her/his seat.

There are just a few major league teams that hold your attention on your TV screen.

The PADRES are now at the top of the list!  LOL!  Talk about "swagger"??

Who's going to pitch inside to Juan Soto?  LOL!  I'll bet we'll see a manager walk in a run rather than let him hit with the bases loaded.   happy77

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2022, 06:10:06 pm »

Soto's a budding star, and has huge upside, but considering his present stats?

.246 at trade time and sub .900 OPS?

This could be a big overpayment considering what the Pads gave up.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2022, 08:09:13 pm »
I'm sorry @AllThatJazzZ but I don't feel anything at all. I haven't watched an inning of pro baseball or a down of pro football in quite a while and feel no need to do so ever again.

@Bigun
Apologies for the ping. I'll try to remember that you're the one who has sworn off baseball, but I can't promise you won't get pinged by me again. First, y'all all look similar on the message board, and, second, I'm old. So if I hit you up again, just consider that my advanced age is causing me to slip up every now and again. And again. And again.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2022, 08:14:28 pm »

@catfish1957
That's encouraging. I hope you're right. I don't have any familiarity with any of the new players, so that's why I was hoping to tap into the thoughts of someone who does.