Author Topic: Nursing Homes Seek State Help to Fend Off COVID Death Lawsuits  (Read 152 times)

Offline Kamaji

Nursing Homes Seek State Help to Fend Off COVID Death Lawsuits

By Eric Lendrum
March 28, 2022

Amidst a wave of lawsuits over COVID-19 deaths against nursing homes all across the country, some facilities are turning to their respective state governments for assistance in court.

USA Today reports that after dozens of such lawsuits have been filed, 38 states have implemented certain legal protections for nursing homes, making it more difficult to sue them over deaths related to the Chinese coronavirus pandemic. Some nursing homes have also been turning to certain federal laws to seek protection against legal action.

In one such case, the Fair Acres Geriatric Center in Lima, Pennsylvania was sued by the family of 63-year-old Christopher Beaty after he died of the coronavirus on June 6th. Beaty was forced to remain with his roommate even after the roommate tested positive for COVID, and they shared their room for an additional 24 hours, exposing Beaty to the virus that eventually killed him.

“I strongly believe that if they would have followed regulatory guidelines to isolate individuals if exhibiting COVID symptoms,” said his son, Christopher Beaty Jr., “this could have been prevented.” The family is suing Fair Acres for not acting quickly enough to remove the infected roommate, which could have saved Beaty’s life.

In response, lawyers for the facility requested that the lawsuit be dismissed, claiming that they were protected by a federal law known as the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act. A federal judge declined their request in August, leading the Fair Acres attorneys to subsequently appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia; that hearing will take place on April 28th.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/03/28/nursing-homes-seek-state-help-to-fend-off-covid-death-lawsuits/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Nursing Homes Seek State Help to Fend Off COVID Death Lawsuits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 04:46:29 pm »
Why should taxpayers be on the hook to bail out nursing homes for bad decisions? I could see the nursing homes suing states for relief if the governors of them forced the homes to take in Covid patients but even then what extra measures were taken to keep patients separated and safe would have a lot to do with it.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Nursing Homes Seek State Help to Fend Off COVID Death Lawsuits
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 09:24:12 pm »
Why should taxpayers be on the hook to bail out nursing homes for bad decisions? I could see the nursing homes suing states for relief if the governors of them forced the homes to take in Covid patients but even then what extra measures were taken to keep patients separated and safe would have a lot to do with it.
pointing-up

Exactly on point.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:35:05 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington