Author Topic: ‘I feel like I’m back in jail’: Life inside NYC’s broken shelter system  (Read 303 times)

Offline Kamaji

‘I feel like I’m back in jail’: Life inside NYC’s broken shelter system

By Georgett Roberts, Nolan Hicks, Kevin Sheehan and Gabrielle Fonrouge
March 8, 2022

Cockroaches in the food and mice crawling on beds. Constant assaults and thefts. Sanctuaries that feel like jail cells.

This is what life is like inside three major Big Apple homeless shelters and why many indigent residents say they’d rather take their chances on the street over entering a system they say is broken.

“I used to leave here after bed check and go sleep on the A train going to Far Rockaway. You can’t really sleep here. It ain’t safe,” Sean McAloney, a 50-year-old US Navy veteran, recently told The Post outside of the notorious 30th Street Intake Center where he’s lived for the last six months.

“Last night, this kid who hurt his back was in the shower and this big dude came in and started pressing up on him, naked. He wouldn’t leave. That’s scary! It’s not going anywhere good. That’s why I shower fully clothed,” he continued.

“The trains are the best place to get some sleep, the safest place. At least they were.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/03/08/the-miserable-life-inside-nycs-broken-shelter-system/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"That’s why I shower fully clothed,” he continued."

This guy doesn't belong in a homeless shelter.
He belongs in a mental hospital.
Sorry if you don't like that.