General Category > TBR Kitchen

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sumac

(1/2) > >>

jmyrlefuller:
https://www.eater.com/2022/2/28/22947543/what-is-sumac-how-to-use-cooking-recipes

Sumac is the secret weapon in your spice cabinet: it has the power to bring incredible acidity to your food without adding extra liquid. It’s not bitter like lemon zest or astringent like vinegar, but somewhat fruity and floral without being noticeably sweet. Chances are, if you’ve had Middle Eastern or Mediterranean dishes like kebab or anything dusted with za’atar, you’ve tasted sumac’s wonderful tartness. It’s also a spice that goes well with just about anything, which is why so much of the world uses it. But for all of its popularity, sumac still hasn’t found a place in the average American’s spice arsenal — which is why there’s no better time to give it a closer look.

(excerpt)

jmyrlefuller:
Note:

Sumac grows just about everywhere where I live. There's usually plenty of sumac trees lining creek banks around here and I never knew they were edible, let alone a delicacy!

Hoodat:
All I know about sumac is that it makes my skin itch.

mountaineer:
I got a bottle of zaatar seasoning, but haven't exactly explored its full potential yet. I do like those middle eastern flavors.

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on March 04, 2022, 01:47:41 am ---Note:

Sumac grows just about everywhere where I live. There's usually plenty of sumac trees lining creek banks around here and I never knew they were edible, let alone a delicacy!

--- End quote ---

Yeah be really careful. Some sumac is extremely poisonous and will mess you up, especially if taken internally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version