Author Topic: How to Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson  (Read 636 times)

Offline Kamaji

How to Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson
« on: March 01, 2022, 04:15:12 pm »
How to Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson

Her race is irrelevant. Her membership in the administrative state elite is all-important.

By Ken Masugi
February 28, 2022

“Idon’t understand you,” thought a young Ketanji Brown, as she lunched with Justice Clarence Thomas some 20 years ago. “You sound like my parents. You sound like the people I grew up with.” “But,” Brown noted, “the lessons he tended to draw from the experiences of the segregated South seemed to be different than those of everybody I know.”

Some pundits made this insight the basis of their hope that a Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson might change Clarence Thomas’ judicial reasoning. Since the nation’s corporate media elite regard Thomas’ views as a product of his colleague the late Antonin Scalia or his conservative activist wife, why shouldn’t a junior colleague reprogram him?

But the nominee for the Supreme Court seat to be vacated by Stephen Breyer, the justice she was clerking for at the time of that luncheon, never actually spoke these words. They are an invention of Kevin Merida and Michael Fletcher’s 2007 biography of Thomas, Supreme Discomfort: The Divided Soul of Clarence Thomas. For all I know, it’s possible that Jackson’s account was distorted, abridged, or completely fabricated. I base this conclusion on my own experience with Merida, who began an interview with me for that book. When I saw the direction he was taking, I ceased speaking with him. He seemed set upon proving his preconceived, dubious thesis about Thomas.

So it’s possible that young Ketanji Brown was used in a preposterous polemic. But if it’s true she thought Justice Thomas’ experience in Pin Point, Georgia, compared with that of her parents, I question what she knows about life in the racially segregated South. Can she be really that stupid or sheltered? A profile of her remarkable Miami public high school reveals alumni such as Jeff Bezos and numerous attorneys, and five classmates who attended Harvard. Did she go on to ask Justice Thomas why his conclusions differed so much from those of her family and acquaintances? At any rate, a clerk should not relate stories about any of the justices. That much she should have known.

What the episode calls into question is Joe Biden’s insistence that his first Supreme Court nominee should be a black woman, as that would make an institution that “looks more like America.” (Wouldn’t a court that thinks more like America be more to the point? Why not say that instead? Thinks like America, not like the rarified legal theorists who roost in its law schools.)

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/02/28/how-to-judge-ketanji-brown-jackson/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: How to Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 04:16:16 pm »
Should we follow Biden's lead and judge her by skin color and gender alone?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 11:04:11 pm »
Masugi:
"Her race is irrelevant."

NO.
It's not "irrelevant", since she was chosen BECAUSE of it.

What's really relevant about her:
She's a commie, Jim...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 02:49:29 am »
It's not Rocket Surgery, folks.  Let's see how she votes in lockstep with the Genius Twins, Soto and Kag.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 02:52:42 am »
It's not Rocket Surgery, folks.  Let's see how she votes in lockstep with the Genius Twins, Soto and Kag.

She almost certainly will.  However, in a perverse way, the more left she goes, the more likely it is that she’ll be isolated to 6-3 rulings where she’s in the minority, because the more left she goes, the less likely it is that one of the right of center justices like Roberts will go along with her.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 03:15:52 am »
She almost certainly will.  However, in a perverse way, the more left she goes, the more likely it is that she’ll be isolated to 6-3 rulings where she’s in the minority, because the more left she goes, the less likely it is that one of the right of center justices like Roberts will go along with her.

Hoping for that would require my trusting Roberts even a little.  He'll be a likely reliable 4th vote for the left.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 03:17:23 am »
Hoping for that would require my trusting Roberts even a little.  He'll be a likely reliable 4th vote for the left.

5-4 is still a victory for the right of center. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 03:20:37 am »
5-4 is still a victory for the right of center.

It is, but will the 5 hold together?  Roberts is lost to me, I count on leftist decisions from here on out.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 03:34:47 am »
It is, but will the 5 hold together?  Roberts is lost to me, I count on leftist decisions from here on out.

The original point is that the harder left the newbie goes, the more likely the 5 are to stick together.  Roberts was simply amenable to being sweet-talked by Breyer, who will no longer be there.  If the newbie doesn't have the skill to sweet talk him to a moderate left-of-center position, then he's more likely to gravitate to the other 5.  The problem was, basically, that Breyer was too seductively close to the center, albeit to the left of it, for Roberts to help himself.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 03:46:15 am »
Which means he is left of center, not right of center.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 02:11:22 pm »
Which means he is left of center, not right of center.

Yeah....
I will NOT comply.