Author Topic: Even as Russian tanks roll toward Kyiv, the US is still buying a lot of Russian oil (Update: Psaki s  (Read 109 times)

rebewranger

Even as Russian tanks roll toward Kyiv, the US is still buying a lot of Russian oil (Update: Psaki speaks)
JOHN SEXTON Feb 25, 2022 3:20 PM ET

Ed wrote about this yesterday but I was really struck by it last night when Sec. of State Blinken appeared on the evening news and answered a question about the US continuing to buy oil from Russia. Listen to Blinken’s answer:

I guess it hadn’t fully registered with me before hearing that answer that, even with Russian tanks rolling down Ukrainian highways, the plan is to continue to buy a a significant amount of Russian oil every month.

How much exactly? The most recent figures from the US Energy Information Administration are from last November. In that month we bought 17,855,000 barrels of oil from Russia, slightly more than we purchased from Saudi Arabia. Russia is our third biggest supplier after Canada and Mexico. Those nearly 18 million barrels or oil in November represented about 7% of the total the US imported that month.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/02/25/even-as-russian-tanks-roll-toward-kiev-the-us-is-still-buying-a-lot-of-russian-oil-n451261

Offline Kamaji

And, at $105 per barrel, that means that, if our purchases are constant and remain the same as they were in Nov. 2021, we are sending the Russians about $1.89 billion each month in new hard currency.