Author Topic: German army chief says service ‘stands bare’ from neglect as its forces are placed on deployment ale  (Read 287 times)

rebewranger

German army chief says service ‘stands bare’ from neglect as its forces are placed on deployment alert
BY ALEXANDER RIEDEL• STARS AND STRIPES • FEBRUARY 24, 2022

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — The highest ranking officer in the German army on Thursday publicly lamented years of fiscal neglect and the army’s deteriorating readiness, as the U.S. and NATO allies mobilize in response to Russian aggression in Ukraine.

“In my 41st year of service in peace, I would not have thought I would have had to experience another war,” Inspector of the Army Lt. Gen. Alfons Mais posted on his personal LinkedIn account.

“And the army that I am allowed to lead, is more or less standing bare,” Mais wrote.

Mais’ comments Thursday morning came ahead of Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht’s announcement that Germany’s defense forces were being placed on national alert in preparation for a possible NATO deployment.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/europe/2022-02-24/fed-up-german-army-chief-laments-his-service-stands-bare-after-years-of-fiscal-neglect-5129804.html

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Surprise surprise surprise, isn't this what Trump complained about for years concerning other NATO members that they were not investing or prepared to do their share because of all the money diverted to social programs.

Offline Kamaji

Surprise surprise surprise, isn't this what Trump complained about for years concerning other NATO members that they were not investing or prepared to do their share because of all the money diverted to social programs.

Yup.  Trump was correct, again.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.