Author Topic: Van Hollen: Have to Be Less Reliant on Oil, Gas ‘Over Time,’ Because Russia Has ‘Important Share’ of  (Read 214 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Van Hollen: Have to Be Less Reliant on Oil, Gas ‘Over Time,’ Because Russia Has ‘Important Share’ of Market, Don’t Regret Axing Keystone

Ian Hanchett 24 Feb 2022

On Thursday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “Your World,” Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) said that he doesn’t regret the shutdown of the Keystone XL pipeline, argued that “slower oil and gas production here had nothing to do with President Biden’s policies.” And said that while oil and gas production will continue as they should, “we also need to do what President Biden wants to do, which is, over time, reduce our reliance on oil and gas. Because, obviously, it’s a world market. … Russia has an important share of that.”

Van Hollen said, [relevant remarks begin around 2:25] “I’ve heard people say that the Keystone decision had some impact on current prices. I also saw PolitiFact looked at that claim and said it was false. The reality is that oil and gas production is continuing in the United States, as it should, but we also need to do what President Biden wants to do, which is, over time, reduce our reliance on oil and gas. Because, obviously, it’s a world market. And, as you point out, Russia has an important share of that.”

He added, “[W]hen you have a conflict like this, gas prices will go up, and we need to recognize that there will be some price to pay for standing up against Putin’s bullying.”

Host Neil Cavuto then asked, “But there would be less of a price to pay if we dramatically opened up production, right? You’re quite right to say, sir, that the Keystone pipeline is — it was — really just represented a fraction of our overall oil and our future oil needs. But, as you know, oil trades in the open world markets, and it was read at the time that U.S. production is not going to be as big as we thought it would be or as much of an important issue for this administration. And almost ever since, we’ve been behind the eight ball here. Do you regret that unilateral decision at the time?”

Van Hollen responded, “No, I don’t. And, Neil, I think you know that oil production and gas production in the United States is obviously moved by world prices. As prices are going up, what you’re going to see in the United States is increased oil and gas production. The slower oil and gas production here had nothing to do with President Biden’s policies.”

Later, Cavuto asked Van Hollen if he supports “dramatically beefing up domestic production to make up for the oil that will be off the market soon from Russia?”

Van Hollen answered that domestic production would increase as prices increase.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/02/24/van-hollen-have-to-be-less-reliant-on-oil-gas-over-time-because-russia-has-important-share-of-market-dont-regret-axing-keystone/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

So this is the lies the DCP is trying to push now? I hope people aren't stupid enough to buy this crap but I'm sure I'll be disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:58:58 pm by Killer Clouds »

Offline Kamaji

Wow.  Just bald-faced lying to people.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Unrepentant democrats, in your face, pissing on America and Americans.  Are the deniers and useful fools satisfied yet ?
 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
Odd getting that old don't believe the issues or facts of this issue, believe our lying deceiving spin on these issues, and if you do things are certain to get much worse.  As proven so many times before.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:49:59 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I also saw PolitiFact looked at that claim and said it was false.

Dear Lord, they are believing their own faackczechers.  **nononono*

And, Neil, I think you know that oil production and gas production in the United States is obviously moved by world prices. As prices are going up, what you’re going to see in the United States is increased oil and gas production. The slower oil and gas production here had nothing to do with President Biden’s policies.”

Price driven? sure. But you don't commit billions of dollars to drilling programs that can be stopped on a whim, or have their takeaway infrastructure shut down before it is built, and even after.

Besides, after a few lean years, the companies that have the producing assets aren't in a rush to water down current profits, because those profits will pay for the wells yet to be drilled, and the Drilled but UnCompleted (DUC) wells to be brought on line (fracking and production infrastructure can cost more than drilling the well).
While drilling is relatively cheap, it will continue, but those barrels of oil won't get to the refinery right away, and one well on a lease will hold the mineral rights by production, Others already drilled on the same pad can wait for completion. You just don't rush to sell your product at market lows or what will likely be short term highs.

This administration has been dead set against the development and production of our own resources from day one, halting Keystone XL, demanding yet another EIS on the DAPL (how many times is that going to be done, already?), shutting down leases on Federal Land (half of the land west of the Mississippi, and all of offshore), changing Methane emission rules, and throwing every possible stumbling block in the way of oil and Gas development and transportation.
--and thats just some of what has been done to the Oil and Gas industry, they just shut down a road project to a copper and cobalt and precious metal rich mining district in Alaska that has ore concentrations that are multiples of those currently mined in open pits elsewhere, at a time when those minerals could be crucial to the very sort of electrical grid infrastructure development needed for their own EV initiatives.

Hopefully, the idiots won't be minding the store much longer.

You don't treat an entire industry like crap and then come and ask a favor.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

I learned something today.  A Master of Public Policy degree from Harvard is absolutely worthless.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I learned something today.  A Master of Public Policy degree from Harvard is absolutely worthless.
I would argue that it is not worthless, it certainly qualifies the holder for the position of stable mucker.

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Pretty much so.

The way things are looking, a Class-A CDL from any reputable driving school is looking like a better credential than most ivy league degrees.

Offline christian

Biden didn't JUST shut down the pipeline,he also shutdown oil drilling/production on vast areas of Federal lands.
Biden went to great lengths to aid and abet Russian aggression's around the world, not unlike China either.
So well thought out be such a dementia,clueless, unknowing individual, VERY WELL COMPENSATED FOR IT ALL THOUGH!  Hitlery must be so jealous Biden beat her to a very lucrative betrayal.
Amnesiac,can't blame her, to dementia, can't blame him. Democrats rule unaccountabilities by their (postured)malady afflictions.  Sukkas buy it every time, how predictable and useful, FOR THEM.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:02:29 am by christian »

Offline christian

Denying America its own oil coal, natural resources, forcing America to be dependent on our enemies for the energy it needs.  Coal,Oil, Dams, Wood, nuclear power even extreme polluting to manufacture, and all perfectly acceptable for Communists nation and radical Islam nations.  Of course democrats revile America have any of those things that prosper the West, capitalism, America.  Whose side are they really on?  The George Soros democrat party, and old Nazi,l rule the world retread?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Fuller's Rule of the Nevers, #3: Never trust anyone or anything that comes out of Harvard.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024