Author Topic: More Houston shootings are involving 'Glock switches,' which turn pistols into machine guns  (Read 261 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by St. John Barned-Smith 2/25/2022

More Houston shootings are involving 'Glock switches,' which turn pistols into machine guns

Special Agent James O’Flaherty, firearms instructor coordinator for ATF field agents, shows a Glock switch Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022 in Houston.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner recalled his fear watching video of the encounter: the gray sedan smashing into a fence, the driver emerging, and then the blur of automatic fire as the gunman unleashed a barrage of lead at three of his officers.

“It’s terrifying,” he said. “I’m terrified for our officers and also concerned for our citizens.”

The Jan. 28 shootout — which left three officers wounded — was the latest in a rising number of shootings police say criminals are committing with so-called “Glock switches,” nickel-size devices that allow trigger pullers to essentially turn legal, semi-automatic handguns into machine guns.

On Thursday, authorities announced federal charges against the alleged gunman, Roland Caballero, as well as 18 other unrelated cases involving firearms illegally modified with “Glock switches.”

Federal officials called the indictments a “sobering reminder” of the dangers law enforcement officers face on the job — and another factor propelling the spike in homicides across the region over the last few years.

“The charges announced today are a sobering reminder of the dangers faced everyday by law enforcement officers around this country,” said Deputy Attorney General Lisa O. Monaco. “The defendant allegedly shot and wounded three HPD officers with a pistol that was converted into a machine gun. The Department of Justice is focused on taking violent criminals off the street and doing so by working side by side with our state and local law enforcement partners.”

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/More-Houston-shootings-involve-Glock-16945519.php

Special Agent James O’Flaherty, firearms instructor coordinator for ATF field agents, shows a 3D printed Glock switch Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022 in Houston.

Offline Kamaji

So how do these "locks" work?

Offline rustynail

With the accuracy of black shooters one might be safer when they empty their weapon in one uncontrolled burst.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I honestly can't think of a firearm LESS useless than a machine pistol.

UPDATE! Just remembered black powder weapons.More useful than knives or spears,but barely. Don't own any,and don't intend on ever owning any.

I can also honestly say that if someone is shooting at me,I hope they are using a machine pistol because they will almost certainly miss me and then run out of ammo,giving me the time I need to get my revolver out and blow their asses away.

I can also honestly say the ONLY white people I have ever known who have owned machine pistols owned the Mauser machine pistols that were produced all over the world from the late 1800's (1898,IIRC) until the time the allies bombed all the Nazi weapons plants into flaming dust in the 1940's.

For some reason I will never understand,it seemed like the SS ground troops REALLY loved these things. I guess they might have been kinda useful for executing prisoners who were lined up,but even then they would waste a lot of ammo. Which come to think of it,was a GOOD thing if it was the Nazi's wasting ammo.

Hell,even I had one at one time back in the 60's. The one I had was made in China under license to Mauser and was,IIRC,7.62 caliber instead of the usual 9mm. I don't think I even shot it once. Bought it because it was cheap and a curiosity,and sold it cheap when I lost interest in it.

Not much interest in them back then,especially not in any that weren't manufactured in Germany,and I bought it cheap and sold it cheap. Damn thing may still be floating around somewhere in Asia,but I suspect it was melted down for scrap long ago.

BTW,IIRC,these things were commonly called "Broomhandle Mausers".

BTW,I don't care much for full-auto rifles,either. They waste too much ammo,and if you are an infantryman running long-range patrols,you have to carry all your ammo with you. This tends to discourage full-auto fire if you can avoid it.

BIG fan of full-auto 30 and 50 caliber and larger machine guns,though. Then again,we never had to carry them on recon teams,and on the Hatchet Force teams,full-auto 30 calibers were VERY nice things to have when surrounded by heathens intent on killing you all. 30 caliber MG's tended to temper their enthusiasm about charging up the hill to kill you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 04:05:03 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!