Author Topic: Woman sues police for excessive force after K-9 ripped off her scalp  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Kamaji

Woman sues police for excessive force after K-9 ripped off her scalp

By Marjorie Hernandez
February 24, 2022

A California woman whose scalp was ripped open by a police dog filed a lawsuit claiming police officers used excessive force by allowing the German Shepard to maul her for several minutes even after she begged them to call off the animal.

Talmika Bates said she was paralyzed with fear as a K9 named “Marco” continued to chew on her scalp during the Feb. 10, 2020 shoplifting arrest, according to the complaint filed on Tuesday.

Brentwood Police Officer Ryan Rezentes had to physically remove the dog’s grip from Bates’ scalp after the dog refused to listen to commands at least twice.

The terrifying incident was captured by officers’ body-worn cameras and released by Bates’ attorneys. Bates can be heard screaming in a field among some bushes where she was hiding when the K-9 caught her and gripped her by her scalp.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/02/24/california-woman-talmika-bates-whose-scalp-was-ripped-off-by-k9-sues-cops/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Woman sues police for excessive force after K-9 ripped off her scalp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 01:25:40 pm »
Good doggie.  Go for the weave!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Woman sues police for excessive force after K-9 ripped off her scalp
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 02:20:27 am »
Good doggie.  Go for the weave!
Yeah I don't think that's what happened if you looked at the pics, this was definitely an out of control dog the thee handler let go way past any reasonable limit. If this was your or my dog ripping the woman's scalp apart and refusing to let go the cops would have killed it. I would say this animal 'officer' is a danger to the public and needs to be in a controlled secure place away from the public. I doubt the woman did anything serious enough for what happened to her.