Author Topic: U.S. Justice Department to end Trump-era program targeting threats posed by China  (Read 406 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

U.S. Justice Department to end Trump-era program targeting threats posed by China
Reuters, Feb 23, 2022

WASHINGTON, Feb 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department on Wednesday will end a program focused on fighting Chinese espionage and intellectual property theft, shifting from what an official called a "myopic" focus to address threats from a broader array of hostile nations.

Critics have said the initiative, put in place during former President Donald Trump's administration, amounted to racial profiling and that it created a culture of fear that has chilled scientific research.

The move, the details of which were reported by Reuters earlier this month, is a recognition that the focus on China was too limited, said Matt Olsen, the Assistant Attorney General for the National Security Division.

"By picking one country, what the China initiative did, it created in some ways a bit of a myopic approach which I don't think really reflects the nature of the threat landscape," said Olsen, who discussed the changes with reporters ahead of his speech.

More:  https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-justice-department-end-trump-era-program-targeting-threats-posed-by-china-2022-02-23/

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

You have got to be kidding me!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When the US Government starts attacking our enemies again, and not Americans, we will have a country again, but not until.

Whose side are these MF'ers on?

It isn't ours.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

They closed down a Chinese embassy in Houston, after they were caught spying, getting info from the Texas Medical Center.
So now, they want to shut this down?
Just how many people in D.C. are beholden to the Chinese?

Offline Kamaji

They closed down a Chinese embassy in Houston, after they were caught spying, getting info from the Texas Medical Center.
So now, they want to shut this down?
Just how many people in D.C. are beholden to the Chinese?

It seems like all too many.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Chi-coms don't need to spy on America because we are just handing them the keys to the kingdom for cheap labor and sneakers.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Hoodat

Hollywood better take note.  Trump has been the only President to protect their intellectual property rights in the entertainment field.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-