Author Topic: Fact Check: Mitt Romney Suggests Trump Shares Blame for Russia Invading Ukraine  (Read 289 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fact Check: Mitt Romney Suggests Trump Shares Blame for Russia Invading Ukraine

Joel B. Pollak 23 Feb 2022

CLAIM: Russian President Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine because of “the shortsightedness of ‘America First.’”

VERDICT: FALSE. President Donald Trump held Putin at bay, despite claims by Democrats and “Never Trump” detractors.

After Russia invaded Ukraine on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT), who campaigned for president in 2012 on the idea that Russia was the greatest geopolitical foe of the United States, took a well-deserved shot at former President Barack Obama for having mocked that idea during the race.

Romney also blamed President Joe Biden for his weak posture, as well as President George W. Bush for failing to respond to the Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008.

However, he also implicitly blamed Trump, even though Putin never invaded any other country during Trump’s term in office.

Romney’s full statement was as follows:

“Putin’s Ukraine invasion is the first time in 80 years that a great power has moved to conquer a sovereign nation. It is without justification, without provocation and without honor.

“Putin’s impunity predictably follows our tepid response to his previous horrors in Georgia and Crimea, our naive efforts at a one-sided ‘reset,’ and the shortsightedness of ‘America First.’ The ‘80s called’ and we didn’t answer.

“The peril of again looking away from Putin’s tyranny falls not just on the people of the nations he has violated, it falls on America as well. History shows that a tyrant’s appetite for conquest is never satiated.

“America and our allies must answer the call to protect freedom by subjecting Putin and Russia to the harshest economic penalties, by expelling them from global institutions, and by committing ourselves to the expansion and modernization of our national defense.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/02/23/fact-check-mitt-romney-suggests-trump-shares-blame-for-russia-invading-ukraine/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
 “Putin’s Ukraine invasion is the first time in 80 years that a great power has moved to conquer a sovereign nation"

So Bush's folly in Iraq in 2003 was what?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

Romney is overly hawkish, and it played a part in his loss.  We do NOT belong in a conflict with Russia over the control of Ukraine.  Let them have it, and let them deal with the blowback.  Russia will be bankrupt within a few years.

Offline EdinVA

Mitt who?

Online Hoodat

Mitt Romney blows goats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

If anything, it was Trump's unpredictability that kept Putin offguard during his Admin.

Trumped supplied weapons to Ukraine.  Trump acted decisively to react to Russia and Syria's use of chemical weapons.

Putin took a piece of Georgia, Crimea, and Donbas under Obama.  Putin is attempting to annex Ukraine under Biden.

As usual, Mitt is a day late and a dollar short.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Mitt Romney blows goats.

NWO RINO's like Romney  in this country have about as much future as a goat after Ramadan, and a 100 hungry muzzies.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

If anything, it was Trump's unpredictability that kept Putin offguard during his Admin.

Trumped supplied weapons to Ukraine.  Trump acted decisively to react to Russia and Syria's use of chemical weapons.

Absolutely true.  It is what diplomacy is all about.  You want the entire world to know they are risking a full scale nuclear attack if they so much as try to paint graffiti on your house.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
“Putin’s Ukraine invasion is the first time in 80 years that a great power has moved to conquer a sovereign nation"

So Bush's folly in Iraq in 2003 was what?
I guess that little Russia Afghanistan fracas didn't count either?

Offline Kamaji

Absolutely true.  It is what diplomacy is all about.  You want the entire world to know they are risking a full scale nuclear attack if they so much as try to paint graffiti on your house.

Well, you want your opponents to believe that there is a sufficiently high risk that they would incur a nuclear attack if they try anything, high enough to make their desired targets too expensive on a risk-weighted basis.

You also want to have the appearance of a material degree of unpredictability so that you have more maneuvering room.

I recall from the 1980s that Reagan was accused of being an out of control cowboy; it never much bothered him, and I think I know why:  he valued the extra maneuvering room that reputation gave him diplomatically.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Soooo, Trump shares blame because a over a year after Biden took office and eliminated our energy independence causing oil price to go up and fill Russia's coffers, showed the entire world world that he was a weak mentally unfit leader especially with the Afghanistan debacle and the destruction of our militaries moral and anyone that doesn't march in lock step with the liberal lunacy in Washington?

This is all on Captain Dementia and his lunatic cohorts like Witless Romney. You don't get to blame the guy before when you have dismantled every single thing he did to make the nation energy independent and keep America's enemies at bay.

Offline Kamaji

Soooo, Trump shares blame because a over a year after Biden took office and eliminated our energy independence causing oil price to go up and fill Russia's coffers, showed the entire world world that he was a weak mentally unfit leader especially with the Afghanistan debacle and the destruction of our militaries moral and anyone that doesn't march in lock step with the liberal lunacy in Washington?

This is all on Captain Dementia and his lunatic cohorts like Witless Romney. You don't get to blame the guy before when you have dismantled every single thing he did to make the nation energy independent and keep America's enemies at bay.

:thumbsup:

Online Hoodat

I recall from the 1980s that Reagan was accused of being an out of control cowboy; it never much bothered him, and I think I know why:  he valued the extra maneuvering room that reputation gave him diplomatically.

Kissinger and Nixon invented 'Good Cop, Bad Cop'.  It certainly brought North Vietnam to the peace table and ended the Vietnam War (at least until the Dems drove Nixon from office, just like they did with Trump).

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
REVISED:
Hitler is overly hawkish, and it played a part in his loss.  We do NOT belong in a conflict with neighbors over the control of Poland/Czechoslovakia.  Let them have it, and let them deal with the blowback.

More Nevelle Chamberlain capitulator than even Nevelle Chamberlain was!  WWIII dead ahead!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Okay, okay, okay... a little help here....

Just who does Mitt think he will gain from by kissing Biden's nasty ass?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis