Author Topic: Mike Rowe Scholarship Highlights the Lost Virtues of Hard Work and Sweat  (Read 273 times)

Offline Kamaji

Mike Rowe Scholarship Highlights the Lost Virtues of Hard Work and Sweat

There are thousands of Tracy Wilsons out there attending community colleges, trade schools, and apprenticeship programs, eager to show their value, even when so many do not acknowledge it.

By Salena Zito
February 21, 2022

LUSBY, Maryland—Tracy Wilson is sitting in the cutest little ranch house in this Calvert County town. It is her dream house—literally her dream house, she explains, as she has had the image of this very home in her mind, down to the color scheme of the exterior.

It is 4 o’clock in the afternoon, and the single mother of two just got home from another dream—her job. She spends her days working as an instrumentation technician in the flight test program at Boeing.

“I get to spend my days working on F-18s,” she exclaims several times during the interview. She says it with such joy that her appreciation for her craft becomes infectious.

Several months into her education, Wilson found out about the Work Ethic Scholarship Program from the Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation. The program provides financial support to students enrolled in trade school training programs who have demonstrated a continuing commitment to personal responsibility, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic.

“I was like, ‘Hey, I am a huge ‘Dirty Jobs’ fan,'” she said of Rowe’s wildly popular Discovery Channel show, in which he does every trade job created that makes the clocks, trains, planes, and automobiles run on time and keeps your toilet flushing, too. Rowe made a reality show out of unglamorous yet essential jobs that make everyone’s lives safer and more comfortable. He brought to the forefront not just their existence but also the value these jobs have for the people who do them.

Rowe said in an interview that he was inspired to create the scholarship fund in the summer of 2008. “‘Dirty Jobs’ was a runaway hit, the country was entering a recession, unemployment was headline news,” he said. “But everywhere I went on ‘Dirty Jobs,’ I saw ‘Help Wanted’ signs. It slowly dawned on me that high unemployment did not necessarily stem from a lack of opportunity. I remember being surprised to learn that 2.3 million jobs were open when the unemployment rate surpassed 10 percent.”

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/02/21/mike-rowe-scholarship-highlights-the-lost-virtues-of-hard-work-and-sweat/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Mike Rowe Scholarship Highlights the Lost Virtues of Hard Work and Sweat
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:12:19 pm »
Mike Rowe is truly amongst one of the greatest people we have in this country right now.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 10:57:07 pm »
I am a huge fan of Mike's.  A portion of every purchase I make on Amazon goes to him for these scholarships.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 11:00:25 pm »
I am a huge fan of Mike's.  A portion of every purchase I make on Amazon goes to him for these scholarships.

:thumbsup:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 11:48:45 pm »

You got the name for that? I've been looking for a new one.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 11:56:25 pm »
Me too! When Amazon started asking if I wanted to participate in their charity program Rowes was the only one I thought of that I had 100% trust in.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 12:02:05 am »
You got the name for that? I've been looking for a new one.

@Free Vulcan

mikeroweWORKS Foundation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 12:02:59 am »
Me too! When Amazon started asking if I wanted to participate in their charity program Rowes was the only one I thought of that I had 100% trust in.

He's gotten almost $500K from all of us, so far.
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 12:10:57 am »
Mike Rowe is truly amongst one of the greatest people we have in this country right now.

Ultimate purveyor of common sense, and values.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 12:12:49 am »
Ultimate purveyor of common sense, and values.

And appreciation for work,no matter how humble or exalted. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 12:18:40 am »
What so many people don't understand is that many of these hands-on type of jobs pay darn good money. Enough to buy homes and raise families.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 12:20:57 am »
And appreciation for work,no matter how humble or exalted.

I watched him clean up literal hippo poo in one episode.  He was mucking out a zoo.  There's a reason it was called "Dirty Jobs."  He went out of his way to find disgusting stuff. 

And cool stuff.  He did maintenance on the Mackinac Bridge once.....

I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 01:56:12 am »
I watched him clean up literal hippo poo in one episode.  He was mucking out a zoo.  There's a reason it was called "Dirty Jobs."  He went out of his way to find disgusting stuff. 

Best part is he brought it back with new episodes  happy77

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 12:20:30 pm »

Very true, but he went out of his way to find those sorts of jobs in order to find the essential dignity and honor in doing them, no matter how dirty.  He didn't go out of his way to find them in order to lampoon them or make fun of the people doing them, and that is what sets him apart.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 02:29:19 pm »
Very true, but he went out of his way to find those sorts of jobs in order to find the essential dignity and honor in doing them, no matter how dirty.  He didn't go out of his way to find them in order to lampoon them or make fun of the people doing them, and that is what sets him apart.

:thumbsup:

He seems to love what he's doing.
I will NOT comply.