Author Topic: AT&T is shutting down its 3G network. Why is it happening and how could it impact you?  (Read 560 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Updated: 12:13 PM CST Feb 22, 2022

By Samantha Murphy Kelly, CNN Business

Twenty years after 3G was first introduced in the United States, paving the way for a new generation of mobile apps, the network is officially being phased out.

AT&T is set to pull the plug on its 3G network Tuesday, with other major U.S. carriers expected to follow suit later this year. The move impacts everything from older phones to home alarm systems and roadside assistance systems.

To move its mobile customers over to 4G without service interruptions, AT&T, which owns CNN's parent company, has been providing free replacement phones to many users with a 3G device. It has also been attempting to alert customers to network changes through various methods.

"For nearly two years, we've proactively sent numerous communications via direct mail, bill messaging, emails and text messages to help customers transition to next-generation networks before 3G services end on February 22," AT&T told CNN Business in a statement.

AT&T is shutting down its 3G networks as part of a greater effort to re-use the spectrum for 4G and 5G — newer standards that are more efficient than 3G. T-Mobile will do the same in the third quarter and Verizon will do so by the end of the year.

Here's what you should know about the 3G shutdown.
What products will be impacted?

The shutdown will impact people still using 3G Kindles, 3G flip phones, the iPhone 5 and older models as well as various Android phones. It will also affect home alarm systems and medical devices such as fall detectors. Some in-car crash notification and roadside assistance systems like OnStar will need to be updated or replaced, too.

more
https://www.wisn.com/article/how-will-the-3g-shutdown-impact-you/39172866?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Act now - 3G is gone

We’ve phased out our 3G network starting February 22, 2022. We’re making make room for an even better network.
DETAILED INFO
What to know about 3G going away
To bring you faster speeds and new features, we're excited to upgrade America’s best network.1  One change we’re making is shutting down our 3G network.
Devices that still work
Find out if your phone will still work on our new network (PDF, 470KB). It’s important to check the model numbers next to your device to make sure it’s still supported since the 3G network shutdown. Once you know your device still works, you may need to restart your device or check the VoLTE or LTE status. (See the FAQ for more details)

Don’t see your phone make and model on the list? That means it may not work anymore. You may need to swap or upgrade to a new one.

more
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/?cjevent=0c7f05ff940d11ec81141d4a0a82b82a&source=EC1NAT10600aff12A&wtExtndSource=100098465
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in Feb

file:///C:/Users/airfb/AppData/Local/Temp/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf
Support the USO

Online DefiantMassRINO

Eliminating 3G was the only way AT&T could get me to upgrade my phone.

The FCC and Telecoms probably want to recover that spectrum for new uses.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I have an iphone7plus  and hubby has an iphone6 we are both safe for now...I am happy with my phone and don't want to upgrade....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:53:04 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
ATT send me a new phone with new Sim card for free in anticipation of the switch.  It just showed up with instructions one day. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.