Author Topic: More than half of unemployed young men in the US have criminal records, study says  (Read 380 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More than half of unemployed young men in the US have criminal records, study says

“The unemployment system almost never looks at the role that criminal history plays in keeping people out of the workforce,” said Shawn Bushway, senior policy researcher at RAND Corporation.
By
Shirin Ali | Feb. 21, 2022

Story at a glance

Researchers from RAND Corporation studied the effect criminal records have among unemployed American men.
    They estimated more than half of unemployed men living in America in their 30s have a history of being arrested or convicted of a crime.
    The prevalence of arrests for all Black men, both employed and unemployed, was roughly 33 percent higher than it was for white men at every age that researchers examined.

Having a criminal record in the U.S. may be more common than it seems, as new research suggests more than half of unemployed men in their 30s living in the U.S. have a history of being arrested or convicted of a crime.

It's estimated that as many as one in three American adults have been arrested at some point in their life and men are more likely than women to have a criminal record. Researchers from the RAND Corporation, a global policy think tank, noted that those figures are a result of the country’s aggressive law enforcement practices over the past several decades. 

Researchers at RAND decided to study the effects a criminal record has on men in America, publishing their results in the journal Science Advances. They found that by the age of 35, about 64 percent of unemployed men in America have been arrested and 46 percent have been convicted of a crime. 

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/accessibility/595178-more-than-half-of-unemployed-young-men-in-the-us-have
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

An expungement jubilee is needed.

Offline roamer_1

That all kinda depends...

I have a sheet. I am a 'criminal'... Most all of it having to do with felony moving violations, unintentional trespass, and all the varieties of assault and property damage associated with getting rowdy in bars and such... And most of that, believe it or not, started in self-defense. ALL of it decades old.

I was always able to get work. I was always able, and even encouraged to straighten out and fly right. And I did git er done. Just took me longer than most.

And as an employer... I am obliged to be cautious depending upon the charge. I am not going to hire a thief. Nor one who would assault a woman, as instances - Because the nature of the character of such a man is to be highly questioned. But fighting is so much a part of male instinct, and being rowdy in ones youth so much a part of establishment of self, that much of that sort of thing can be overlooked or tolerated until it is figured out.

Provided it is finally figured out. So in a male world, it ain't so much that a feller has been charged, or convicted, or done county time - Many of us have in the course of growing up. Even state or federal time - THAT it happened is less important than WHY it happened.

If a feller is having a hard time getting that sorted with other men, there is a reason for it.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Things sure have changed.  When I hired people, and I hired 100's in the oil industry. A clean felony free criminal record was a prerequisite for even getting an interview.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:04:39 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

Things sure have changed.  When I hired people, and I hired 100's in the oil industry. A clean felony free criminal record was a prerequisite for even getting an interview.

Really. Everybody I know in the Patch (and I know plenty) tend to be rowdy as hell.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Really. Everybody I know in the Patch (and I know plenty) tend to be rowdy as hell.

Yes, really.  HR conducted background checks on perspective interviewees.  And at the time, that only typically culled about 10%.

Again, only felony convictions were a disqualifiying event.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

That all kinda depends...

I have a sheet. I am a 'criminal'... Most all of it having to do with felony moving violations, unintentional trespass, and all the varieties of assault and property damage associated with getting rowdy in bars and such... And most of that, believe it or not, started in self-defense. ALL of it decades old.

I was always able to get work. I was always able, and even encouraged to straighten out and fly right. And I did git er done. Just took me longer than most.

And as an employer... I am obliged to be cautious depending upon the charge. I am not going to hire a thief. Nor one who would assault a woman, as instances - Because the nature of the character of such a man is to be highly questioned. But fighting is so much a part of male instinct, and being rowdy in ones youth so much a part of establishment of self, that much of that sort of thing can be overlooked or tolerated until it is figured out.

Provided it is finally figured out. So in a male world, it ain't so much that a feller has been charged, or convicted, or done county time - Many of us have in the course of growing up. Even state or federal time - THAT it happened is less important than WHY it happened.

If a feller is having a hard time getting that sorted with other men, there is a reason for it.

Would you hire someone who was arrested/convicted for grand larceny when he was 18, spent 2 years in prison, but has since then cleaned up his act and had no more than a few speeding tickets on his record in the last 8 years?

Offline roamer_1

Would you hire someone who was arrested/convicted for grand larceny when he was 18, spent 2 years in prison, but has since then cleaned up his act and had no more than a few speeding tickets on his record in the last 8 years?

On the bubble. That could go either way. 10 years behind him, married with kids, I would likely give him a chance. But that would depend upon insurance. If I can get him past my insurance guy is the primary hurdle.

Offline Kamaji

On the bubble. That could go either way. 10 years behind him, married with kids, I would likely give him a chance. But that would depend upon insurance. If I can get him past my insurance guy is the primary hurdle.

Fair enough.  Assume he wasn't married and didn't have kids, but did have a work history and a clean record.  Also assume no insurance problems.  Would you do it?

I know I'm asking a hypothetical, with precious few facts - and its the specific facts that would make or break any given case - I'm just trying to get a feel for it.

Offline roamer_1

Fair enough.  Assume he wasn't married and didn't have kids, but did have a work history and a clean record.  Also assume no insurance problems.  Would you do it?

I know I'm asking a hypothetical, with precious few facts - and its the specific facts that would make or break any given case - I'm just trying to get a feel for it.

The closest real world 'hiring of a thief' that I have to offer is a kid I hired with several GTAs in his youth. The Judge, as in so many cases, gave him a final ultimatum, having sent him up to county already... Military or Pen. The kid chose military, served in theater, came home hard to hire.

Great guy. Oddly enough, I never worried about him stealing anything. His major dysfunction was being tolerable and interchangeable in crews. And that was problematic. Too gung-ho, and a hard driver to a flaw.

Now, he does not fit your profile perfectly - He was actually divorced and trying to get back with his woman. And he had kids with her. But more or less single.

Offline roamer_1

And please DO note that as I said above, hiring a thief is most certainly an exception to the rule.

Offline Kamaji

The closest real world 'hiring of a thief' that I have to offer is a kid I hired with several GTAs in his youth. The Judge, as in so many cases, gave him a final ultimatum, having sent him up to county already... Military or Pen. The kid chose military, served in theater, came home hard to hire.

Great guy. Oddly enough, I never worried about him stealing anything. His major dysfunction was being tolerable and interchangeable in crews. And that was problematic. Too gung-ho, and a hard driver to a flaw.

Now, he does not fit your profile perfectly - He was actually divorced and trying to get back with his woman. And he had kids with her. But more or less single.

Fair dinkum!  Thanks for putting up with my tendentious hypotheticals!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 9999hair out0000
Well I had no felonies, but I was refused a job with a school district maintenance department, forever!, because I had a speeding ticket 9 years 11 months and 29 days prior. No friggin lie, and that was the last straw pushing me to disability after trying for close to two years to get employment after Barry and Joe finished their first term and my employer. So I guess the answer to your question would be depends on the employer. personally I have worked with prior felons that cleaned up their act and were very dependable and honest, I worked shortly with the opposite type too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Rowdy is one thing. Knowing where, when, and when to quit are good things that keep the police away.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

We no longer have managers, we have administrators whose life revolves around checklists and they have no tolerance for any descent, options, or opinions regardless of the impact on costs or quality of service, this is how russia/russia/russia got as far as it did.   If the interviewer has ANY inkling of reluctance to "toe the line" you will not get hired, hence the drive to hire conformists and non-citizen, easy to manage...
If you are willing to "buck the law", no matter the degree, you are difficult to manage...

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
We no longer have managers, we have administrators whose life revolves around checklists and they have no tolerance for any descent, options, or opinions regardless of the impact on costs or quality of service, this is how russia/russia/russia got as far as it did.   If the interviewer has ANY inkling of reluctance to "toe the line" you will not get hired, hence the drive to hire conformists and non-citizen, easy to manage...
If you are willing to "buck the law", no matter the degree, you are difficult to manage...

See that concept has been furthered since I retired 10 years ago.  Big Oil since the early 2000's had gone from a basis of innovation, to one that valued Managers who could promote and adhere to systems. Robots were of more value than a maverick who might shake something up with a a great idea.

Glad I am long gone from that bullshit.

Offline roamer_1

Rowdy is one thing. Knowing where, when, and when to quit are good things that keep the police away.

Yep. I figgered that out. Eventually.

For a while there, I didn't get the linkage... And then like an epiphany...
OH, WAIDADAMMINNIT! I SEE WHAT'S GOING ON!

*winks*

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@catfish1957   @roamer_1

Roamer,please note the use of the word "FELONY" by Catfish.

LOTS of people get arrested for things like felony assault,but the charges are dropped down to misdemeanor with plea bargains.

Which means if you have a felony conviction,chances are you are a risky hire for anyone who can be sued.

It can also mean you might not be too bright because it is a rare prosecutor who won't accept a quick guilty plea for a minor crime that COULD be prosecuted as a felony if the prosecutor was willing to waste that court time.

Lots of times,even that guilty misdemeanor plea can/will be expunged from your record after some time has passed with no repeat offenses.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
@catfish1957   @roamer_1

Roamer,please note the use of the word "FELONY" by Catfish.

LOTS of people get arrested for things like felony assault,but the charges are dropped down to misdemeanor with plea bargains.

Which means if you have a felony conviction,chances are you are a risky hire for anyone who can be sued.

It can also mean you might not be too bright because it is a rare prosecutor who won't accept a quick guilty plea for a minor crime that COULD be prosecuted as a felony if the prosecutor was willing to waste that court time.

Lots of times,even that guilty misdemeanor plea can/will be expunged from your record after some time has passed with no repeat offenses.

Another interesting asepct of how records impact your career, was that post 9-11, how DHS mandated that into those in critical DOT impacted positions.  That included all Unit shift foreman, up the process food chain to the Plant manager, and his staff, and Transportation  staff that managed, incoming and outgoing truck, rail, ship, or pipeline.   We could not have a DUI, or any "security" (loosely) infraction on our record.

I knew a few who weren't fired, but had to be reassigned.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:13:18 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Another interesting asepct of how records impact your career, was that post 9-11, DHS mandated that those in critical DOT impacted positions.  That included all Unit shift foreman, Plant manager, and his staff, and DOT staff that managed, truck, rail, ship, or pipeline.   We could not have a DUI, or any "security" (loosely) infraction on our record.

I knew a few who weren't fired, but had to be reassigned.

@catfish1957

I had no idea they were doing that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
@catfish1957

I had no idea they were doing that.

Oh, and by the way, all of us on the list, were subject to fedrally mandated random drug and alcohol testing.

Since I had Envionmental, Safety, and Security, I unrandomly included myself occasionally for testing sometimes.

Was always fun to bring my boss the Plant Manager a Pee Jar,
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:17:51 pm by catfish1957 »