Author Topic: Selling The Metaverse  (Read 443 times)

Offline Kamaji

Selling The Metaverse
« on: February 17, 2022, 12:44:58 pm »
Selling The Metaverse

You are going to be pushed into virtual reality whether you like it or not.

By James Pogue
February 17, 2022

Last Christmas Eve, I was driving with my 17-year-old nephew through an industrial part of northeast Portland, Oregon, when he pointed out some new graffiti on a wall near his house. “How Does The Metaverse,” someone had written, in quite beautiful blue script, “Help Poor People?”

This struck me as a very poignant thing to spraypaint on a wall in a run-down section of a midsize American city, not far from a huge and heart-rendingly grim homeless encampment on Columbia Avenue. Whoever wrote it must have had a sense that a massive change in how humans live and interact was looming before us all. We can be sure that they didn’t know what this Metaverse would look like, since no one knows exactly. But they knew enough to be alarmed by it, and they must have had a sense that ordinary people wouldn’t have much say in how it shaped up and impacted their lives. They knew that there was no point in writing their congressman or the local newspaper to discuss whether or not Americans really want to live out their lives in a digital simulacrum of reality, or to question whether it makes sense for us to deploy massive portions of our nation’s capital and brainpower toward building this simulacrum. Those sorts of questions get answered by investors and tech executives, and almost no one in power in this country thinks they ought to fall under the purview of our democracy or public debate. So they were left to scrawl a plaintive little protest, on a wall between a weed dispensary and a Vietnamese grocery.

Last spring, the early web pioneer, billionaire investor, and Facebook board member Marc Andreessen did an interview that got a lot of attention in the small world of people who theorize about tech, and almost none outside of it. It was with a pseudonymous figure who writes under the name Niccolo Soldo, who alternates between obviously satirical forays and genuinely weighty questions about how tech has reshaped human life in the past few years. About halfway through, Soldo asked Andreessen a question about whether our world of constant screen-based communication was hurting our collective mental health.

“Your question is a great example of what I call Reality Privilege,” Andreessen answered, before going into a world-historical vision of what the Metaverse would offer to humanity. Reality Privilege was an idea he’d borrowed from the virtual reality developer Beau Cronin, who wrote way back in 2015 that physical reality, such as we experience as we go through the world in our human bodies, was a painful and unpleasant experience for many—maybe even most—of us. So it was a mark of privilege, comfort and luck, to think of non-digital reality as being truer or more worthwhile than one experienced through a screen. “If it’s hard to imagine much about your life that could be improved by porting to a new platform,” Cronin wrote about virtual-reality worlds, “then maybe you’re not the target user here. Consider the possibility that a visceral defense of the physical, and an accompanying dismissal of the virtual as inferior or escapist, is a result of superuser privileges. You are one of the Verified Users of the real. Congratulations for now, but beware the platform shift ahead.”

It turned out that Andreessen had a very direct answer to the question of how the Metaverse would help poor people. “The Reality Privileged,” he said, “call this conclusion dystopian, and demand that we prioritize improvements in reality over improvements in virtuality. To which I say: reality has had 5,000 years to get good, and is clearly still woefully lacking for most people; I don’t think we should wait another 5,000 years to see if it eventually closes the gap. We should build—and we are building—online worlds that make life and work and love wonderful for everyone, no matter what level of reality deprivation they find themselves in.”

So here’s an immensely influential billionaire, with a huge personal stake in the development of the Metaverse, leveraging the language of privilege to suggest that the opinions of people who protest that we’re being lead towards dystopia are definitionally invalid. And I’m going to offer a prediction: you will hear more arguments like this in the near future. But this is less of a new line of thinking than it may appear at first. Andreessen is just stating things more clearly than anyone had to back before we knew how ruinous the consumer technologies sold to us as social progress would be to our lives and society. Because if we can see how this Metaverse is being sold, maybe we might not end up buying it.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/selling-the-metaverse/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Selling The Metaverse
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 12:48:53 pm »
Marc Andreessen's statements should be utterly chilling to anyone who still has any belief left in the dignity of the human being and the human existence.

What he is pushing as an antidote to the "reality privileged" is nothing more and nothing less than a virtual version of Aldous Huxley's Soma mixed in with the Matrix.

His statements also reflect the utterly depraved arrogance of the technocratic elite - the same arrogance displayed by Fauci and his merry crew of gain-of-function experimenters - that he and his ilk have sufficiently godlike powers that they can do God one better and create a paradise right here, right now, on Earth.

Chilling.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:53:17 pm »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 03:29:02 am »
Elysium

Or just about any dystopian have/have not future scenario.

The sad part is that once the Bastille gets stormed, and at some point that is inevitable, the Terror will follow.

This time will not be like last time.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 04:50:50 am »
Though Picard taught us that resistance is futile, the masterminds of tech world will have to drag me kicking and screaming into the Borg universe they envision.

It was inevitable that evolutionary forces would shape the higher functions of the brain so that in the end the human brain itself would arbitrate social evolution. Resistance really is futile.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 06:26:11 am »
Though Picard taught us that resistance is futile, the masterminds of tech world will have to drag me kicking and screaming into the Borg universe they envision.

It was inevitable that evolutionary forces would shape the higher functions of the brain so that in the end the human brain itself would arbitrate social evolution. Resistance really is futile.
Eff 'em. I will stay as much outside their bubble as I can. I don't want to get hit by the scraps when it pops.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline art.prout

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 09:09:28 am »

It will always be your choice: to say NO!

(Come what may...)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 11:47:52 am »
A reality occupied by people who have made it a living Hell will inevitably lead to the same jerks (to use a polite term) making any metaverse equally hellish.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 12:37:34 pm »
A reality occupied by people who have made it a living Hell will inevitably lead to the same jerks (to use a polite term) making any metaverse equally hellish.

Or worse, since they will now have a degree of control over other people's "reality" that they do not have in the real world.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 02:54:30 pm »
It will always be your choice: to say NO!

(Come what may...)

That's right. I have a phone at the end of my arm just like all y'all... Can I throw it away? You bet.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 02:56:42 pm »
Or worse, since they will now have a degree of control over other people's "reality" that they do not have in the real world.

I would argue with only your assumptions of the 'real' world... Just because it is meat-world does not make it real.
 :beer:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 05:19:02 pm »
I would argue with only your assumptions of the 'real' world... Just because it is meat-world does not make it real.
 :beer:

Meat-world as an irreducible element of reality to it that virtual will never have.  That makes it real.