Author Topic: Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Series Has Already Betrayed Tolkien’s Vision  (Read 412 times)

Offline Kamaji

Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Series Has Already Betrayed Tolkien’s Vision

Grafting twenty-first century notions of racial diversity onto J.R.R. Tolkien’s prehistoric mythology is as nonsensical as it is unnecessary.

By John Daniel Davidson
February 16, 2022

If you thought the epic works of J.R.R. Tolkien could survive adaptation into a billion-dollar TV series by Amazon without being saddled with the dreary ideology of corporate wokeness, or without being marred by executives and show-runners who think they can improve on Tolkien’s vast mythopoeia, you were wrong.

So was the Tolkien estate, which in 2017 sold the rights to the appendices in “The Lord of the Rings” to Amazon for a reported $250 million. Those appendices outline the Second Age of Middle Earth, thousands of years before the events in the acclaimed “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, and are supposed to be the source material for this new show, which Amazon is calling, “The Rings of Power.”

But from what little we know about the series, which premieres this fall, it appears Amazon is planning to stray far from its source material. The show’s first teaser trailer aired Sunday during the Super Bowl just days after Vanity Fair ran an exclusive first look featuring promo photos of some of the main characters.

The trailer, photos, and article all suggest “The Rings of Power” will deviate drastically from Tolkien’s appendices, not only by introducing a racially diverse cast of characters that makes no sense in Tolkien’s mythology, but also by compressing thousands of years of Middle Earth history into a few truncated storylines, creating completely new characters, and introducing hobbits (nonsensically calling them harfoots, one of three breeds of hobbits) eons before any hobbits migrated over the Misty Mountains into Arnor.

So when Amazon’s Lindsey Weber, executive producer of the series, tells Vanity Fair, “It felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien’s work would reflect what the world actually looks like,” in reference to casting a black elf and a black dwarven princess (without a beard!) and a black hobbit, because “Tolkien is for everyone,” it should set off alarm bells.

Why doesn’t a racially diverse cast of characters make sense in Tolkien’s mythology? Because this isn’t “Games of Thrones” or the “The Wheel of Time” or some other throwaway fantasy series that can easily be adjusted to reflect our myopic modern obsessions about race and representation. This is “Lord of the Rings,” a prehistoric fantasy epic whose purpose, as Tolkien himself explained in some detail, was to provide a legendarium for Britain, which Tolkien felt “had no stories of its own,” at least not like the legends of other lands: “There was Greek, and Celtic, and Romance, Germanic, Scandinavian, and Finnish (which greatly affected me); but nothing English, save impoverished chap-book stuff.”

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/16/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series-has-already-betrayed-tolkiens-vision/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I've seen the trailer and this is a no go.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

I've seen the trailer and this is a no go.

I won't even waste my time then.  I loved the books - read them through at least eight times - and tolerated most of the movies; I see no reason to further sully my enjoyment of the books.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I won't even waste my time then.  I loved the books - read them through at least eight times - and tolerated most of the movies; I see no reason to further sully my enjoyment of the books.

The Amazon story line is completely divorced from the Tolkien classics.  No magic in Mudville....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I never had ANY interest in Tolkien at any period of my life.
That kind of stuff generally didn't interest me.

I'm still not interested in reading his books, but...
... I'm wondering if the films (there are 3 of them, right?) that were produced some time ago are worth watching to get the gist of his tales?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
As the orange guy says....  "Everything Woke turns to shit"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I never had ANY interest in Tolkien at any period of my life.
That kind of stuff generally didn't interest me.

I'm still not interested in reading his books, but...
... I'm wondering if the films (there are 3 of them, right?) that were produced some time ago are worth watching to get the gist of his tales?

The three movies made by Peter Jackson in the early 2000's (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers; and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) are a pretty good adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's best-known work, The Lord of the Rings. In fact, they are likely to be the best adaptation we are ever going to get. Some fans (including me) think that they strayed a little too far from the original text, but they are still excellent and exciting films, and well worth watching in my opinion.

Be aware, there are two versions of each film, the theatrical cut and the extended cut. You may find that the extended cuts are too long for your taste. They mostly add some extra scenes to flesh out the characters a bit, and the theatrical versions don't really miss those scenes.

I can't recommend the three movies that Jackson made based on The Hobbit, though. They are too long, too bloated, and the CGI effects are not nearly as good as what was done in the Lord of the Rings movies.

If you do decide to watch the movies you can find them available to rent (or buy) on most streaming services. HBOMax also makes them available (both theatrical and extended versions) with your subscription to that service.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:39:39 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Ghost sighed:
"The three movies made by Peter Jackson in the early 2000's (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers; and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) are a pretty good adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's best-known work, The Lord of the Rings. In fact, they are likely to be the best adaptation we are ever going to get. Some fans (including me) think that they strayed a little too far from the original text, but they are still excellent and exciting films, and well worth watching in my opinion.

Be aware, there are two versions of each film, the theatrical cut and the extended cut. You may find that the extended cuts are too long for your taste. They mostly add some extra scenes to flesh out the characters a bit, and the theatrical versions don't really miss those scenes."

OK, is the order you gave above the "correct order" in which to view them?

BTW, I have my own "shovels" with which to "dig up" stuff for viewing on the net.
I just searched "Fellowship" and came up with about 40 hits for 720 and 1080p, in various versions.
I'll find something... 8-)

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
OK, is the order you gave above the "correct order" in which to view them?

BTW, I have my own "shovels" with which to "dig up" stuff for viewing on the net.
I just searched "Fellowship" and came up with about 40 hits for 720 and 1080p, in various versions.
I'll find something... 8-)

Yes, the correct viewing order is Fellowship, Towers, Return.

Enjoy your time sailing the high seas!   wink777
Let it burn.