Author Topic: Sandy Hook families, Remington reach $73M settlement  (Read 1249 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sandy Hook families, Remington reach $73M settlement
« on: February 15, 2022, 05:09:36 pm »
Sandy Hook families, Remington reach $73M settlement
By Caroline Vakil - 02/15/22 11:03 AM EST

Gunmaker Remington Arms Co. and the families of the victims from the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have reached a historic settlement, according to court documents.

Court documents did not provide a specific monetary amount of the settlement, but The Associated Press reported that the agreement's price tag amounted to $73 million.

The development follows a years-long lawsuit against the gun manufacturer, which created the rifle used by 20-year-old Adam Lanza during the school shooting, which left six teachers and 20 children dead.   
ADVERTISEMENT

"The plaintiffs request that the Court set a status conference, to be held at a date convenient to the Court and counsel for the parties so that the parties may further report on the settlement, including what must be accomplished before the case can be withdrawn," the court filing reads. "The plaintiffs further request that all scheduling deadlines be suspended. The Remington defendants join in these requests."

Families of the victims who died during the deadly shooting in Newtown, Conn., alleged that the gun used during the shooting, an AR-15–style Bushmaster rifle, was marketed as a war weapon and claim that the gun manufacturer is partly responsible for the shooting.

The lawsuit against Remington, which filed for bankruptcy in 2020, was cleared by a Connecticut court to move forward in March 2019.

Later that year, the Supreme Court declined to take up an appeal from Remington over the families' lawsuit after the gun manufacturer pointed to a 2005 law that shields gunmakers from responsibility when their weapons are used during criminal acts.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/594290-sandy-hook-families-remington-reach-historic-settlement-attorneys
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

Re: Sandy Hook families, Remington reach $73M settlement
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 05:59:06 pm »
I suppose the gun went off by itself.....

Online berdie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:50:36 pm »
None of this makes any sense. But I know it is the way of the world today.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:10:08 pm »
The families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have agreed to a $73 million settlement of a lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 20 first graders and six educators in 2012. Remington, which made the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle used in the massacre, also agreed to allow the families to release numerous documents they obtained during the lawsuit including ones showing how it marketed the weapon, the families said Tuesday.

The families and a survivor of the shooting sued Remington in 2015, saying the company should have never sold such a dangerous weapon to the public. They said their focus was on preventing future mass shootings.

<snip>

The civil court case in Connecticut focused on how the firearm used by the Newtown shooter — a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle — was marketed, alleging it targeted younger, at-risk males in marketing and product placement in violent video games. In one of Remington's ads, it features the rifle against a plain backdrop and the phrase: "Consider Your Man Card Reissued."

In 2017, Nicole Hockley, whose 5-year-old son Dylan was killed at Sandy Hook, told CBS News that the gunmaker has to be held accountable for what occurred.

"This is a weapon that's been designed to inflict mass casualties and, 'you're not a man if you don't have it,'" she said. "That's morally reprehensible and, from a marketing perspective, that's just wrong and needs to stop."

Remington had argued there was no evidence to establish that its marketing had anything to do with the shooting.

The company also had said the lawsuit should have been dismissed because of a federal law that gives broad immunity to the gun industry. But the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Remington could be sued under state law over how it marketed the rifle. The gunmaker appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which declined to hear the case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remington-sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting-settlement-73-million/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:57:08 pm »
 :3:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 12:06:44 am »
I'm pretty sure Remington didn't market it as the perfect weapon for shooting up an elementary school - or for any mass shooting of human beings, for that matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 12:37:42 am »
I'm pretty sure Remington didn't market it as the perfect weapon for shooting up an elementary school - or for any mass shooting of human beings, for that matter.

Remington is no longer the Remington we grew up with.  Now owned by some big corporate entity (can't recall the name at present) which is turning the name into $&8t with the products they are now marketing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 12:42:17 am »
Remington is no longer the Remington we grew up with.  Now owned by some big corporate entity (can't recall the name at present) which is turning the name into $&8t with the products they are now marketing.

An investment outfit called the Roundhill Group bought most of the assets; I believe that Marlin was bought by Ruger.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 12:54:39 am »
Nice cave, Remington.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 02:54:56 am »
Is this setting a new precedent?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 03:29:38 am »
An investment outfit called the Roundhill Group bought most of the assets; I believe that Marlin was bought by Ruger.
Decent article about who got what in the bankruptcy sale.  https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/the-remington-sell-off/384939

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 03:51:43 am »
Those that sued cried they had family wrongly killed.... I say they wrongly sued and now have blood on the their hands of every American that will be denied a weapon to rightfully defend themselves from a runaway government.

This was a money grab and lets just say the families that sued are as much scum as the perp that did the shooting IMHO.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 03:53:12 am »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Mod2

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 12:21:48 pm »
Merged threads and moved to Second Amendment category.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 12:43:57 pm »

They shut down the Bushmaster brand after Sandyhook.  And when they filed for bankruptcy last year they piecemealed out the different divisions...Marlin...the ammo brands etc.

The fact this case ever got to this point rests squarely with the SCOTUS.  They dropped the ball back in 2017 IIRC.

Remington tried to get the SCOTUS to hear the case based on the PLCA.  SCOTUS declined.

Part of Hillary's stump speech in the 2016 election was vowing to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005 (PLCA) so more of these kinds of lawsuits could be filed. The aim of the anti gunners by going this route is to ban us from having or purchasing firearms buy running the companies that make them out of business.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 12:29:05 am »
The Remington Settlement Is Awful. Let's Do the Same Thing.
By Athena Thorne
 Feb 16, 2022 3:33 PM ET
On Tuesday, attorneys for the families of nine of the Sandy Hook Massacre victims announced they had reached a $73 million settlement with Remington and its four insurers. Remington manufactured the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle used by 20-year-old mentally unstable Adam Lanza to shoot and kill 26 people — many of them children — in 2012.

There is so much wrong with Remington being made liable for the acts of a monster. Shall we hold Ford Motors liable for Darrell Brooks’ decision to ram a maroon 2010 Escape into a Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wis.? Perhaps Boeing should finally be brought to justice for manufacturing the 767 that Mohamed Atta chose to fly into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  ...

Many of us on the Right have been saying that it’s time we started playing by the Left’s rules, since they’re the ones making the rules these days. The Remington case shows us the way forward in some important battles.

The technique is to pursue justice for injured children through civil suits based on state laws and filed in friendly courts.

A great place to start would be holding Big Publishing accountable for pushing sexuality and LGBTQ grooming onto children.

It’s easy to show damages. Regarding LGBTQ youth, it’s long been established that young people with gender identity issues commit or attempt to commit suicide at a shockingly higher rate than children who haven’t been coached to deny basic reality. Sadly, it wouldn’t be hard to find young people or their families who have been harmed by having inappropriate ideology pushed on them as minors. ...
PJ Media
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 02:24:08 am »
The REAL criminal here is the freaking court system.

I know Remington is bankrupt,but it's a damn shame they don't have the money to appeal and get a new trial.

This is like holding GM responsible for a drunk driver purposely running someone down while driving a Camaro.

The judge who conducted that trial and allowed the verdict should be booted off the bench.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 02:26:08 am »
Those that sued cried they had family wrongly killed.... I say they wrongly sued and now have blood on the their hands of every American that will be denied a weapon to rightfully defend themselves from a runaway government.

This was a money grab and lets just say the families that sued are as much scum as the perp that did the shooting IMHO.

@Sighlass

I couldn't agree more!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 07:21:31 pm »
Is this setting a new precedent?
I am certain that liberals will see it that way and come crawling out of the woodwork to be lawsuit happy.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 07:24:18 pm »
The town and the cowardly police that hid from the shooter share no blame?

Offline verga

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 07:26:28 pm »
Seems to me, and I could be wrong, that they should have sued Lanza's Mother's estate. She was the one taht raised him to be a cold blooded killer, and purchased the firearms for him. Oh wait those pockets were not as deep as Remington's
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 07:36:27 pm »
The REAL criminal here is the freaking court system.

I know Remington is bankrupt,but it's a damn shame they don't have the money to appeal and get a new trial.

This is like holding GM responsible for a drunk driver purposely running someone down while driving a Camaro.

The judge who conducted that trial and allowed the verdict should be booted off the bench.
My understanding is that this was simply a financial decision by the insurers, cheaper to settle than a long stretched out expensive trial. Also there is no 'legal' precedent because it was not a judgement. Still it rankles when insurers do this, there were times when a customer/scammer filed completely ludicrous injury/damage suits and our insurer settled rather than fight simply because it was cheaper and faster.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 09:49:31 pm »
Ed wrote:
"The town and the cowardly police that hid from the shooter share no blame?"

Nobody "hid from" the shooter (with the possible exception of his victims).
Adam Lanza shot and killed himself before the first police arrived.

GT Hawk is correct.
It wasn't so much "Remington" that "settled" -- that company went bankrupt and what was left was partitioned and sold to others.

I reckon it was Remington's INSURERS that decided to settle -- to get out as cheaply as they thought they could. They have no stake in the Second Amendment.