Author Topic: Anxious Democrats want Biden to speed up vetting for Supreme Court pick  (Read 145 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Anxious Democrats want Biden to speed up vetting for Supreme Court pick
By Alexander Bolton - 02/14/22 06:00 AM EST

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee are urging President Biden to speed up his process for picking a nominee to the Supreme Court so that nothing is left to chance in a 50-50 Senate where one medical emergency is already putting a strain on the Democrats’ narrow majority.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), who met with Biden at the White House on Thursday, says he wants to get started on the confirmation process as soon as possible.

Durbin said he wants Biden to “do it soon.”
ADVERTISEMENT

“I think we understand the importance of the responsibility we have and we’re anxious to get this Senate moving forward. We started to pick up speed recently and we want to continue that,” he said.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), another member of the Judiciary Committee, said he wants Biden to “move as promptly as possible.”

“I’m impressed with all of the potential nominees that have been named so far. I think they all have really compelling personal life stories and immensely impressive qualifications,” he said.

Senate Democrats aren’t trying to nudge Biden toward one particular nominee or another, but they are pushing him not to delay much longer in putting forth a name.

“I think time is really urgent,” Blumenthal added. “We need to move forward quickly but fairly.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/593932-anxious-democrats-want-biden-to-speed-up-vetting-for-supreme-court-pick
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Kamaji

Re: Anxious Democrats want Biden to speed up vetting for Supreme Court pick
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 05:02:56 pm »
You can't tell me that they didn't have this already figured out ahead of time.

There's some sort of skullduggery going on - most likely, they're surreptitiously cleaning up the history of the person they're going to nominate - all those ill-considered articles and social media posts are getting memory-holed, and those individuals from the past who could provide less-than-flattering testimony are either being bought out, or having sudden lethal "accidents".

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 05:15:08 pm »
You can't tell me that they didn't have this already figured out ahead of time.

There's some sort of skullduggery going on - most likely, they're surreptitiously cleaning up the history of the person they're going to nominate - all those ill-considered articles and social media posts are getting memory-holed, and those individuals from the past who could provide less-than-flattering testimony are either being bought out, or having sudden lethal "accidents".

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:02:24 am »
Again I'm going to ask the questions:

How can there be a "nominee" until there is A VACANCY on The Court?

There ISN'T "a vacancy" until Breyer vacates his seat.

His seat IS NOT vacated so long as he continues to sit in it as a member of The Court.

ol joe can designate a "future nominee" if he so wishes, but that person doesn't become an actual nominee (subject to hearings, etc.) until the vacancy exists.

Nor can there be "a confirmation" of a Justice UNTIL (again) there is a vacancy for that person to fill.

The Pubbies (and McConnell in particular) had better push back on this as hard as they can.