Author Topic: Google Maps users make horrifying discovery deep inside Russia  (Read 156 times)

Offline Kamaji

Google Maps users make horrifying discovery deep inside Russia
« on: February 14, 2022, 11:17:13 pm »
Google Maps users make horrifying discovery deep inside Russia

By Fiona Connor, The Sun
February 14, 2022

Internet sleuths have made a horrifying discovery in the depths of Russia that they’ve labeled the “most depressing place ever”.

An eerie indentation on Google maps marks the spot of a former Gulag correctional labor camp in Krasnoyarsk Krai.

Found at 69°24’19°N 87°38’57°E, images show the hollowed ground where deconstructed buildings lie in piles of grey rubble.

An eagle-eyed online detective made the connection after seeing the ghostly image on Reddit.

They wrote: “It is indeed the Norillag labor camp.

“You can even see the mining facility connected to the camp further west. Good catch OP [original poster]!”

One person who recognized the history behind the horror site commented on a photo of a nearby street east of the Gulag.

They wrote: “That’s one of the most depressing places I’ve ever seen.”

Norillag, the Norilsk Corrective Labour Camp, was one of Russia’s abysmal Gulags, where prisoners were made to build the complex and dig for copper and nickel.

Eventually, workers were hauled into other activities which underpinned the economic function of the area, such as fishing and reconstructing the home where Stalin lived in exile.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/02/14/google-maps-users-make-horrifying-discovery-deep-inside-russia/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Google Maps users make horrifying discovery deep inside Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 11:18:35 pm »
I wonder how many gulags still exist in Russia (post-USSR).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Re: Google Maps users make horrifying discovery deep inside Russia
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 11:20:00 pm »
I wonder how many gulags still exist in Russia (post-USSR).

Good question.