Author Topic: Are Your Emojis Racist?  (Read 132 times)

Offline Kamaji

Are Your Emojis Racist?
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:42:56 pm »
Are Your Emojis Racist?

Publicly funded journalists continue to tackle the hard questions.

By Declan Leary
February 12, 2022

"Heath Racela identifies as three-quarters white and one-quarter Filipino,” begins a National Public Radio report published on the internet this week, detailing the fraught racial politics of choosing emoji skin colors. Your humble correspondent, for those who might be wondering, identifies as one-half white and one-half Irish.

It’s a rather strange construction. Either Mr. (Mx.?) Racela is one-quarter Filipino, or he is not. Race and ethnicity seem odd arenas for the advancement of the self-identification fad. These past few years we have witnessed the mainstreaming of a zealous race essentialism which asserts that such identities are the burdens of our history—inescapable if inconvenient facts handed down to us from the past.

Could the descendants of early American slavers wake up tomorrow and decide to identify as pureblood Javanese? Are the white progressives—Rachel Dolezal, Jessica Krug—who pretended to be black, then lost their careers and reputations on being outed, suddenly owed an apology?

My sense is that the trio of journalists whose bylines grace this groundbreaking piece of work would answer in the negative on both counts. (Why it took three people to produce “Which skin color emoji should you use? The answer can be more complex than you think” is a different question altogether, and entirely beyond me.)

Yet in the report we are introduced on these terms not just to Racela but to Sarai Cole, who “is originally from California and identifies as Black and an American Descendant of Slavery,” and Jennifer Epperson, who “identifies as Black.” In all this, admittedly, no identifier is more outrageous than “Alexander Robertson, an emoji researcher at Google and Ph.D. candidate,” whose racial identification is not provided. (Nor are those of writers Andrew McGill and Zara Rahman, the other two people named.)

The emoji issue has apparently been litigated and relitigated in the press ever since the color options debuted in 2015. The following spring, McGill wrote a piece in the Atlantic celebrating the progress made—just a year before, “if a black man or a Latino woman wanted to text a friend the thumbs-up emoji on an iPhone, a white hand would show up.” (Don’t ask me what a Latino woman is; I prefer “Latinx birthing person.”) But the color revolution, McGill contended in conclusion, still had a long way to go:

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/are-your-emojis-racist/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Are Your Emojis Racist?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 02:43:03 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 03:07:20 pm »
You know the  scariest part about this?

It is NOT the self-centered childish loons that write this babble.

It is the fact that someone is willing to PAY THEM to write this babble,and these people all take it seriously,like they are coming up with profound insights instead of brain farts.

The expression "Educated beyond their ability to comprehend" comes to mind.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 03:14:28 pm »
Wonder what Heath thinks of the Confederate Flag that I often have as my icon on this forum?

She is sure adamant in sharing her exact percentage of her heritage, and other heritage crapola in this op-ed as proper . But me, showing mine honoring my confederate soldier ancestors  is not?  What a stupid bitch.

Emoji colors? Has this country really devolved into this level of silliness?

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 03:18:24 pm »

Emoji colors? Has this country really devolved into this level of silliness?

In a word?  Yes.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 03:26:51 pm »
Is this an issue that minority races are concerned about? Or is it an issue that white leftist are concerned about for them?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »
Is this an issue that minority races are concerned about? Or is it an issue that white leftist are concerned about for them?

Which do you think?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 04:15:19 pm »

In a word?  Yes.

As evidenced when Gutfeld had this as his lead topic the other night. They skewered the woke bastards.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.