Author Topic: Immigration driving population to unsustainable lev  (Read 121 times)

rangerrebew

Immigration driving population to unsustainable lev
« on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:31 pm »
Immigration driving population to unsustainable levels
Elizabeth Van Staaveren
The Oregonian
11 July 2016

"The population explosion" was an openly discussed issue some 40 or more years ago. But in recent decades the whole idea of overpopulation and even the word itself have come into ill repute and are studiously avoided in public conversation.

Unpleasant problems, however, cannot be neglected forever. Today, conditions are forcing policymakers and concerned citizens to think about population policy, the numbers of people in the U.S. and how those numbers relate to economic and social circumstances.

Cities and states are faced with many problems arising from huge increases in population in recent years. Schools everywhere are overcrowded and have insufficient funds to function satisfactorily for the numbers enrolled. Established neighborhoods resist enforced density. Expansion of buildings into natural areas is a constant source of conflict. Perhaps half of all political issues covered in news media today are related to increases in the size of the population.

https://www.cairco.org/news/immigration-driving-population-unsustainable-levels

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Immigration driving population to unsustainable lev
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:00:47 pm »
But... I thought that "growth is good"...?
Or... mebbe not so much ?

I'll bet 30% of the regular members of this forum (or more) will bristle if I say that "America has far too many people now, and would do much better with a population only about a third of its current size".

Well, if you disagree, pray tell, just how many people would be "enough" for America?
If you refuse to provide a number, you're being intellectually dishonest.

Would 500 million Americans be "enough"?
If not, would 750 million Americans be "enough"?
If not, would 1 billion Americans be "enough"?
If not, would 2 billion Americans be "enough"?

C'mon, post your number.
I'll be waiting...