Author Topic: Democrats propose federal gas tax holiday ahead of midterm elections  (Read 398 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats propose federal gas tax holiday ahead of midterm elections

Democrats up for reelection look to address voters' concerns ahead of midterms.
By Benjamin Siegel
February 9, 2022, 5:05 AM

Two Senate Democrats up for reelection proposed a bill on Wednesday to temporarily suspend the federal gas tax through the end of 2022, as millions of Americans grapple with the economic impacts of surging oil prices.

The Gas Prices Relief Act from Sens. Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., would suspend the $18.4 cents per gallon federal gas tax through Jan. 1, 2023, according to a summary of the proposal shared with ABC News.

The senators, who are both on the ballot in November, released the proposal at a time when gas is roughly $3.45 a gallon nationwide, about $1 more expensive than a year ago, according to AAA.

"Arizonans are paying some of the highest prices for gas we have seen in years and it's putting a strain on families who need to fill up the tank to get to work and school," Kelly said in a statement. "This bill will lower gas prices by suspending the federal gas tax through the end of the year to help Arizona families struggling with high costs for everything from gas to groceries."

"We need to continue to think creatively about how we can find new ways to bring down costs, and this bill would do exactly that, making a tangible difference for workers and families," Hassan said in a statement.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrats-propose-federal-gas-tax-holiday-ahead-midterm/story?id=82756082
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Democrats propose federal gas tax holiday ahead of midterm elections
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 03:52:15 pm »
They've resorted to stealing Conservative ideas for votes?

This is getting funny, except we know what will happen in the 2nd week of November.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 03:53:35 pm »
Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., should also demand their states suspend collecting gas tax.

AZ is 19 cents and N.H is almost 24 cents per gal. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 03:53:37 pm »
Once again idiots from the DCP propose a solution that will have no affect on the problem.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 03:54:28 pm »
Dingbats.

1.) What will replace lost gas tax revenue to fix America's highways?
2.) Wouldn't a longer-term, more effective solution to high gas prices be reversing Government anti-fossil fuel policies?

A suspended gas tax still won't lower the cost of home heating oil and natural gas used to generate electricity.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 03:55:02 pm »
Once again idiots from the DCP propose a solution that will have no affect on the problem.

All election year Kabuki Theatre, but would you expect anything less?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:58:45 pm »
All election year Kabuki Theatre, but would you expect anything less?
The only ones that believe this garbage are DCP sheeple.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 03:58:48 pm »
Dingbats.

Make the roads so bad that,  travel becomes a problem.  GND consumption goals partially met.  Actually pretty smart idea on their behalf and strategy. Of course actual results are idiotically devastaing.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 04:00:47 pm »

Say again?  60-80M people voted for Biden.  I think the term "sheeple" applies to a bigger faction of the population than you realize.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 04:07:22 pm »
Say again?  60-80M people voted for Biden.  I think the term "sheeple" applies to a bigger faction of the population than you realize.
Oh no. I do realize it. I got banned from another website for disagreeing with one of the moderators every time he said the DCP was dead and there is nothing to worry about. DCP sheeple are idiots that are destroying this country. Unfortunately there are too many so called republicants that also buy into their garbage.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 04:41:26 pm »
They've resorted to stealing Conservative ideas for votes?

This is getting funny, except we know what will happen in the 2nd week of November.

:thumbsup:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 05:25:17 pm »
Dingbats.

the feds rake in $41 billion in federal gas taxes.  20% of this goes to other than roads like mass transit.  https://www.cato.org/blog/highways-gas-tax-diversions

Another area that the feds have created a shell game like the infamous Federal Telephone Excise tax imposed in 1898 when few had phones in order to pay for the Spanish American war.
It still exists and that war has been over for 124 years and counting.  https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/federal-telephone-excise-tax.asp
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 05:37:28 pm »

Another area that the feds have created a shell game like the infamous Federal Telephone Excise tax imposed in 1898 when few had phones in order to pay for the Spanish American war.
It still exists and that war has been over for 124 years and counting.  https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/federal-telephone-excise-tax.asp

Just more perfect proof that it is 100X easier to invoke a tax than kill it.

Excessive taxation has always been synonymous with tyranny since man has had a bartering system.

Also often the tipping point, when said tyrannical elements finally reach too far into the pockets of their serfs.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 09:41:26 pm »
Maggie Hassan, D-N.H., and Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., should also demand their states suspend collecting gas tax.

AZ is 19 cents and N.H is almost 24 cents per gal.
They're pikers, California 51cents and we can thank the idiots that always vote yes on anything that raises taxes like the additional infrastructure gas tax without ever demanding what happened to all the money that was raised by the regular state gas tax.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 09:49:02 pm »
Oh no. I do realize it. I got banned from another website for disagreeing with one of the moderators every time he said the DCP was dead and there is nothing to worry about. DCP sheeple are idiots that are destroying this country. Unfortunately there are too many so called republicants that also buy into their garbage.
What makes Biden special is that he has managed to drop below the 40% line, where democrat support usually bottoms.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 10:34:59 pm »
That's also the reason I adopted my handle on this forum
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 10:36:27 pm »
I am sure the upcoming election is just a mere coinkydink.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 10:37:26 pm »

@Killer Clouds

True,but they will believe anything.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!