Author Topic: IRS Reverses Plans for Facial Recognition Software on its Website  (Read 180 times)

Offline Kamaji

IRS Reverses Plans for Facial Recognition Software on its Website

By Eric Lendrum
February 8, 2022

On Monday, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced in a statement that it would no longer be moving forward with previous plans to implement a controversial facial recognition software on its website in order for users to access certain tax records.

According to CNN, the IRS’s reversal came after widespread backlash by elected officials, privacy groups, and others who pointed out that such technology would constitute a massive overreach and violation of individual privacy. The IRS said in its statement that it would “transition away from using a third-party verification service involving facial recognition,” and would instead add an “additional authentication process.” The agency also vowed to “protect taxpayer data and ensure broad access to online tools.”

“The IRS takes taxpayer privacy and security seriously,” IRS commissioner Chuck Rettig said, “and we understand the concerns that have been raised. Everyone should feel comfortable with how their personal information is secured, and we are quickly pursuing short-term options that do not involve facial recognition.”

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/02/08/irs-reverses-plans-for-facial-recognition-software-on-its-website/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: IRS Reverses Plans for Facial Recognition Software on its Website
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:56:43 pm »
I doubt it.

Now it will use subterfuge instead somehow.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:47:32 pm »

I doubt it.

Now it will use subterfuge instead somehow.

Correct.

Everyone should be comfortable and not organizing to stop such government action.
Notice what is missing from their statement.

They did not say they wouldn't collect such data. No direct statement only general
assurances that they wouldn't pursue what they started.

Perhaps they are focusing on fingerprints so commonly used for smart phone access.
Then there is the option to scrub photos of those they call, to see what that can
uncover.

Have no doubt they are in the process of identifying in minute detail all those who
could object to their governance.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:50:41 pm »

Correct.

Everyone should be comfortable and not organizing to stop such government action.
Notice what is missing from their statement.

They did not say they wouldn't collect such data. No direct statement only general
assurances that they wouldn't pursue what they started.

Perhaps they are focusing on fingerprints so commonly used for smart phone access.
Then there is the option to scrub photos of those they call, to see what that can
uncover.

Have no doubt they are in the process of identifying in minute detail all those who
could object to their governance.

Show me the man, and I will find a crime...

There are so many laws and regulations and rules and codes now, it is hard to not be in violation of something.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis