Author Topic: Supreme Court halts order requiring Alabama to redraw congressional map  (Read 523 times)

Offline corbe

Supreme Court halts order requiring Alabama to redraw congressional map

Harper Neidig - 2h ago

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled Alabama's controversial new congressional maps could stay in place while it reviews a legal challenge, overruling a lower court that had ordered the state to redraw its districts in order to give Black voters better representation.

A 5-4 majority granted a stay of a lower court's order that found the gerrymandered districts likely violated the Voting Rights Act, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the three liberal justices in dissent.

In a concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote that the court's stay will allow the justices to fully hear the case, pushing back the dissenters' criticism that the majority was making a sweeping ruling to gut voting rights without a full briefing from the parties.

"The stay will allow this Court to decide the merits in an orderly fashion-after full briefing, oral argument, and our usual extensive internal deliberations-and ensure that we do not have to decide the merits on the emergency docket," Kavanaugh wrote in the opinion, which was joined by Justice Samuel Alito.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/supreme-court-halts-order-requiring-alabama-to-redraw-congressional-map/ar-AATzMOu?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Supreme Court halts order requiring Alabama to redraw congressional map
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 12:52:31 am »
...with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the three liberal justices in dissent.

I'm pretty dense but even I am beginning to see a pattern here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 01:22:09 am »
The Supreme Court Drops the Hammer on Democrat Redistricting Games and Sets Up a Coming Death Blow
By Bonchie | Feb 07, 2022 7:00 PM ET

After several days of bad news on the redistricting front, including a bad decision in North Carolina for the GOP-drawn map there, a big win has been delivered to Republicans. The US Supreme Court has ruled 5-4 to halt a lower court order in Alabama that it must redraw its previously passed Congressional map.

That means a 6-1 Republican to Democrat map will now go into effect in 2022, and given the makeup of the Supreme Court, there’s no reason to believe it gets struck down at any point past that.

more

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1490810082002706435
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 01:42:16 am »
Once again, Roberts show his colors in the leftists' camp.

Think someone can invite him to go hunting on a rural Texas lodge?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington