Author Topic: Search underway after multiple skaters fall through ice melting on California reservoir  (Read 237 times)

rangerrebew

Search underway after multiple skaters fall through ice melting on California reservoir
BILL HUTCHINSON
Sun, February 6, 2022, 11:33 AMĀ·2 min read

A desperate search was on in Northern California for one of six ice skaters who fell through the melting surface of a frozen-over reservoir as the temperature soared well above freezing, authorities said.

Disaster struck Saturday afternoon at the Stampede Meadows Reservoir near Truckee in the Sierra Nevada Mountains when the ice broke under the weight of a group of ice skaters, according to a statement from the Truckee Fire Protection District.

Five of the skaters managed to pull themselves from the frigid water, but one person failed to emerge, fire officials said.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/search-underway-multiple-skaters-fall-163300232.html

rangerrebew

I live around frozen ponds and bodies of water all winter and know such places can be risky at any time.  I would NEVER go out on a frozen body of water in Mejifornia or Nevada under any circumstance.  This is another example of people not thinking. :nono:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A friend went ice fishing in Wyoming. He thought it odd when he cut through the ice and no water came up, so he stuck his head in the hole only to find that they'd been letting water out of the reservoir...some 20 feet of it..
Needless to say, he got off the ice, and fast.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Wooo that would be a very freaky feeling.
The Republic is lost.