Author Topic: Frozen Trident: A Navy SEAL’s Sled-Dog Operation on the Icy Edge of the Yukon  (Read 136 times)

rangerrebew

Frozen Trident: A Navy SEAL’s Sled-Dog Operation on the Icy Edge of the Yukon
Vets   

By Mac Caltrider | February 06, 2022

Navy SEAL Jeff Reid joined the military with one goal: to fight. After two kinetic deployments to Afghanistan, Reid found an unlikely calling — dog mushing in a remote corner of the Alaskan wilderness. In 2017, Reid launched Frozen Trident, his sled-dog operation on the icy edge of the Yukon. He sat down with Coffee or Die Magazine to discuss his time in the SEAL teams, the war in Afghanistan, and how a frogman found himself running sled dogs in the Yukon Territory.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

COD: You’re from rural Pennsylvania. What inspired you to join the Navy and pursue a career in Naval Special Warfare as a SEAL?

JR: My grandfather served in the Army during the Korean War and was awarded a Bronze Star Medal with Valor and a Purple Heart. I was always intrigued by his stories, and ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be just like him. He suggested I look into the Navy Underwater Demolition Teams, so I went to the Navy recruiter and found out they don’t have UDTs anymore. Instead, they have SEALs. The recruiter guaranteed me a spot at BUD/S [Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training] right after boot camp, so I signed my contract right then and there.

https://coffeeordie.com/frozen-trident/