State Chapters > Florida

Florida man, grandson on magnet fishing trip pull sniper rifles from water

(1/3) > >>

Elderberry:
American Military News by Jessica Schladebeck - New York Daily News  February 05, 2022

A Florida man and his grandson have a different type of fish tale to tell.

Duane Smith and his 11-year-old grandson, Allen Cadwalader, went out on a magnet fishing trip in the Miami suburb of Homestead on Jan. 30. Just minutes into their expedition, the duo pulled up not scrap nor tossed cans, but sniper rifle receivers and bolt carrier groups wrapped in shrink wrap.

“With magnet fishing every time I cast out or every other time I’m coming up with something,” Duane told CNN on Wednesday. “There’s a bottle cap or you know, $7,000 sniper rifle.”

Smith, a retired infantry soldier who specializes in deploying sniper weapons, immediately knew the 20-pound firearms were military grade. He said it took him nearly a half hour to clean them off, but when he finally finished, he found the serial numbers had been scratched off.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/02/pic-florida-man-grandson-on-magnet-fishing-trip-pull-sniper-rifles-from-water/

Free Vulcan:
Reverse boating accident?

Smokin Joe:
Shrink wrapped? Likely hot (serial numbers defaced), but,if serviceable, quite a find.

It would be tempting to oil them up and relocate them..discreetly, with gloves on... :whistle:

sneakypete:
Am I the only one that never even heard of "magnet fishing" before this?

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on February 06, 2022, 04:08:58 pm ---Am I the only one that never even heard of "magnet fishing" before this?

--- End quote ---

I've never done "magnet fishing", but I have done "grappling hook fishing". It is very effective in pulling up tackle from some popular fishing spots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version