Author Topic: Pence breaks with Trump: 'I had no right to overturn the election'  (Read 3158 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pence breaks with Trump: 'I had no right to overturn the election'
By Brett Samuels - 02/04/22 03:42 PM EST

Former Vice President Mike Pence on Friday sharply rebuked former President Trump for suggesting he had the ability to overturn the results of the 2020 election, calling the idea "un-American."

"There are those in our party who believe that as the presiding officer over the joint session of Congress, I possessed unilateral authority to reject Electoral College votes. And I heard this week that President Trump said I had the right to ‘overturn the election,'" Pence said at a Federalist Society event in Florida.

"President Trump is wrong. I had no right to overturn the election," Pence continued. "The presidency belongs to the American people, and the American people alone. Frankly, there is almost no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American president."

"Under the Constitution, I had no right to change the outcome of our election. And Kamala Harris will have no right to overturn the election when we beat them in 2024," Pence said to applause.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/592878-pence-breaks-with-trump-i-had-no-right-to-overturn-the-election
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Pence breaks with Trump: 'I had no right to overturn the election'
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 11:32:57 pm »
No one asked this @$$ hat to overturn an election!  What they did ask was for him to do his duty and allow the process to confirm or deny the results reported by the states.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 04:59:32 pm »
Now Trump trashes Pence.  This is a very bad look for him and emboldens his detractors.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 09:27:37 pm »
No one asked this @$$ hat to overturn an election!  What they did ask was for him to do his duty and allow the process to confirm or deny the results reported by the states.
There is nothing in the constitution that allows for a veep to do anything except what Pence did that day.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 09:36:35 pm »
There is nothing in the constitution that allows for a veep to do anything except what Pence did that day.

Then why have the little ceremony in the first place?
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 09:41:35 pm »

What could have been.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 09:51:40 pm »
Now Trump trashes Pence. This is a very bad look for him and emboldens his detractors.
-----------------------
Trumpty Dumpty reaffirms his bitch and moan character when opposed, the hallmark of those unable to deal w/criticism.
Long past time his Devotees/Disciples shut the door on this buffoon whose skill consists of making noise.
Every time he opens his mouth he further alienates/isolates himself from normal plain people.

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 09:59:09 pm »

But, @Absalom He'll be different next time.  /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »

As usual, YOU are FOS!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 10:14:22 pm »

:yowsa:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 10:28:57 pm »
Pence breaks with Trump: 'I had no right to overturn the election'

The Democrats are the ones who overturned the election, dumb-ass.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 10:31:51 pm »
-----------------------
Trumpty Dumpty reaffirms his bitch and moan character when opposed, the hallmark of those unable to deal w/criticism.
Long past time his Devotees/Disciples shut the door on this buffoon whose skill consists of making noise.
Every time he opens his mouth he further alienates/isolates himself from normal plain people.

If this were truly the case, then the Dems would not have needed to cheat their way to an election win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 10:56:37 pm »

Pence is changing the subject to justify his cowardice and pusillanimity. He is now claiming that President Trump was asking him to commit insurrection. In fact, Trump was asking him to use his position and authority to do his job. Not the same thing at all. Pence is the very definition of milquetoast.

And this guy is the guy the RINOs want to run for President? He wouldn't last a month.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 11:48:40 pm »

Republican electors in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico cast alternative slates of votes for President Donald Trump on Dec. 14, as the certified Democrat electors in the same states cast votes for former Vice President Joe Biden.

https://noqreport.com/2020/12/16/electors-in-7-states-cast-dueling-votes-for-trump/

Pence would have been correct under the US Constitution to return the issue to the states to resolve before certification by Congress.  There was sufficient time to settle the issue prior to the arbitrary deadline of Jan. 6.

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 11:54:16 pm »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 12:02:30 am »
Pence and George W. Bush should be Great friends.
They are two sides of the same coin.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 12:08:51 am »

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 12:22:32 am »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 12:30:34 am »

This again is why Trump should have been putting nails in the coffin of the GOP Establishment instead of taking their advice for VP candidates.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 01:55:46 am »
Then why have the little ceremony in the first place?
I don't know. maybe because it's in the constitution?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 02:54:40 am »
Republican electors in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico cast alternative slates of votes for President Donald Trump on Dec. 14, as the certified Democrat electors in the same states cast votes for former Vice President Joe Biden.

https://noqreport.com/2020/12/16/electors-in-7-states-cast-dueling-votes-for-trump/

Pence would have been correct under the US Constitution to return the issue to the states to resolve before certification by Congress.  There was sufficient time to settle the issue prior to the arbitrary deadline of Jan. 6.
There is nothing in the constitution that provides for the Veep to do anything but what he did on Jan 6.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 02:57:08 am »
This again is why Trump should have been putting nails in the coffin of the GOP Establishment instead of taking their advice for VP candidates.
Yes, maybe he could have found one who, being a total toady in a Dracula/Renfield-type relationship, would have done anything his master told him to do. And licked his boots afterwards like a good toady.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 03:01:30 am »

All those "alternate electors" selected by Trump who showed up at the certification ceremony were all illegitimate.
 In fact, by claiming to be actual electors they were all committing fraud and could be prosecuted. As could the people who put them up to doing what they did.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 03:04:34 am »
All those "alternate electors" selected by Trump who showed up at the certification ceremony were all illegitimate.
 In fact, by claiming to be actual electors they were all committing fraud and could be prosecuted. As could the people who put them up to doing what they did.

Electors are chosen at the State level.  Trump has nothing to do with their selection.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-