Author Topic: Economy crushed expectations with 467,000 jobs in January despite omicron surge  (Read 304 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Economy crushed expectations with 467,000 jobs in January despite omicron surge
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
 | February 04, 2022 08:31 AM

The economy crushed expectations in January and added 467,000 jobs, a surprising and encouraging sign that the labor market pulled through the omicron surge relatively unscathed.

The job gains for the past two months were also revised up by 710,000, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday, meaning that what had previously seemed like lackluster growth throughout the early winter was in fact robust.

The growth is particularly welcome news considering that it occurred despite the headwinds presented by the omicron variant, which suppressed commerce and kept millions of workers sick at home and technically unemployed.

"This was certainly not the downside surprise in payrolls that many were braced for. Quite the contrary," said Mark Hamrick, senior economic analyst at Bankrate. "Between the pick-up in wages, an improvement in labor force participation, and a much better-than-expected jump in employment, including upward revisions in previous months, this is a strong report. This is good news for workers and a sign that the economy is powering through the omicron wave."

Friday's report showed an increase in the labor force participation rate, which generated an uptick in the unemployment rate to 4%

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/economy-beats-expectations-with-467-000-jobs-in-january-despite-omicron-surge
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm so confused, first I swear I read an article that said we were 300K jobs in the hole from what they predicted, than one that said we were up 200K jobs and now we added 467K jobs? I am I hallucinating, overly medicated, caught Biden's dementia(God no) or is it just the usual media lies covering Biden's incontinence?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I'm so confused, first I swear I read an article that said we were 300K jobs in the hole from what they predicted, than one that said we were up 200K jobs and now we added 467K jobs? I am I hallucinating, overly medicated, caught Biden's dementia(God no) or is it just the usual media lies covering Biden's incontinence?

There have been so many reports...this is not the weekly jobs report..this is for the whole month of Jan that they thought would be devastating and were going to blame Omicron for it...well lo and behold it was a good report....I am not convinced some of the numbers were fudged... :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I read that too.  Hopefully that wasn't you reading me...I saw a CNBC story, that seems to be gone.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: